Category: Leagues & Divisions
To create leagues, you'll use the
Teams > Divisions & Teams menu choice on the Admin menu. When clicked, this choice brings up a league and team listing page that displays the leagues already defined so far. At the top of the page is a link titled "Add a new league/division." Click this link to bring up the League Information form. The form has the following fields:
- League/Division Name
- Type the name of the new league here, up to 32 characters.
- Menu Position
- The menu position will allow you to order your divisions and leagues within your website. To place a divsion or league at the top of the list, enter 1. To continue the listed sequence enter 2, 3, 4....
- Sub-division of
- This is where you designate the parent of the new league. Initially, this list will be blank. As you add new leagues, they will appear in the list. If you select a league name from the list, it will be the parent of your new league. If you don't make a selection, the new league will become a top-level league. In this way, you can define your organization's structure.
- Little League Type* (Baseball/Softball clubs only)
- If you're running a Little League Baseball or Softball club, you'll want to designate the type of this league according to Little League's categories. This information will be used when exporting team members to be sent to Little league and also for calculating pitcher availability.
- Sport Name
- This is the name of your sport, such as football or basketball.
- Goal Name
- This is the name of your goal such as Runs or Points.
- Arbiter Group ID
- If you have already added your club's Arbiter Group ID to the Configuration page of your website, you can now enter a second Arbiter Group ID here. This can be useful for large leagues that manage both a boys and girls league. In this scenario, you can link the boys schedule to a separate Arbiter account from the girls. Allowing the officials assigning organizations for each to receive games for their respective leagues. For more information about setting up your Arbiter IDs with LeagueAthletics.com, see the Arbiter configuration help.
- You can use the choices below to specify whether or not team standings will be displayed on the Standings page found on the Teams menu. The choices for Standings display are as follows:
- Don't show standings
Use this button (the default) to specify that standings will not be shown for this league on the standings page. If this is a travel league for instance, that only plays teams outside of its own league, intra-league standings would be meaningless.
- Show only top ## places in standings
This choice specifies the number of top places that are displayed on the Standings page. The provided input box allows you to specify the number of displayed places. If you enter 3 for example, the teams in first second and third place will be shown but no others. If however, there are ties for any of the placings, there will be more teams displayed than the number specified here.
- Show all teams in standings
Click this choice to specify that all teams within the league will be displayed on the Standings page in order of their placing to date.
- Rank Teams By
- Use these three options to tell the system how standings should be calculated. The first option will take precedence and the 2nd and 3rd option will be used if their are ties in the standings. The available calulations are:
- None (Alphabetical)
- Percentage (Wins / Games * 100)
- Raw Percentage (Wins / Games)
- Weighted Percentage (.5 * Ties + Wins) / Games * 100
- Weighted Percentage (.333 * Ties + Wins) / Games * 100
- McLaughlin Index (Wins * 2 + Ties) / (Games * 2)
- Points (Wins * 2 + Ties)
- Points (Wins * 3 + Ties)
- Points (Wins * 3 + Ties * 2 + Losses)
- Points (Wins * 2 + Ties + Extra Points) *
- Points (Wins * 3 + Ties + Extra Points) *
- Points (Wins * 2 + Ties + Sum(Losing Opponent's Power Ratings)) **
- Extra Points *
- Goals For
- Goals Against
- Goal Difference
- Schedule Strength ***
- Strength of all opponents ***
- Losing Opponent's Power Rating **
- Head to Head****
- *Extra Points are manually entered as part of the results for each game.
**Power Ratings are entered as part of each team's individual settings.
***Schedule Strength is calcualted as a composite total of points (or percentage) of each opponent that the team has beaten (or all opponents, if selected).
****Only available as a 2nd or 3rd calculation.
- Show Game Behind Column
- If selected the Standings page will show a column titled GB, which will show how many games behind the leader that team is.
- Ties count as losses
- This feature will count all games recorded as ties as losses in the standings.
- Count unreported games
- This option can be used to force coaches and managers to report scores back to the organization. If enabled, all events that have passed and are scorable will be counted in the standings. For example, if "Ties count as losses," and this option are checked, teams that did not report scores would rack up losses throughout the season.
- Count interleague play
- Checking this option will count games played against teams in other divisions. Much like major league baseball, if you had an American and National league, events played across divisions would be counted in the overall standings.
- Count events of type
- This option is used to define what event types are used to calculate standings. If you do not have multiple event types, only events of the type "Game" will be calculated and this field can be left blank. However, you may want to include other events like Scrimmage, or Tournament into standings. In this case, enter those event types here as well as Game.
- Reset standings to begin on
- If your organization has preseason games, you can use this option to reset the standings after those games have been played. For example, if the season starts on 1/1/2012, but the regular season starts on 2/1/2012, set this to be 2/1/2012, and all events played after 2/1 would be counted.
- Show only the top
- This option is used for the division/league's stats page. Entering a number here will show that many league leaders. Leaving this blank will show all players in the league. Set this to 0 to show none.
Note: If none of the leagues in your organization are set up to display standings, the "Standings" choice will not be displayed on the Teams menu.
Use these fields to customize the appearance of the entire site when visiting this division's pages. This will allow you to change the background, header, and menu tabs to have different images or colors from the homepage of the site.
- Background Image
- You may upload your own image which will appear as the background image for the entire site when on this division's pages.
- Banner Image
- You may upload your own banner image which will appear as the banner image for the entire site when on this division's pages.
- Background Color
- Use this option to set the background color for the entire site when navigating this division's pages.
- Menu Color
- Use this option to set the menu bar color for the entire site when navigating this division's pages.
- Menu Text Color
- Use this option to set the menu bar's text color for the entire site when navigating this division's pages.
After you submit the form above, the new league will appear on the listing page, and you can click it to edit it or press the Delete button to the right of the name to delete the league. If you change your mind about the structure, you can always go back and reassign the parent of a league to any other league. If you've already created sub-leagues or teams that are children of the league, they will move with the parent league. However, in the above case, you cannot delete the parent league until all the child leagues and teams have been reassigned or deleted themselves.