Teams are the heart of your organization. Now that you've defined the league structure of your club as documented above, you can start setting up your teams. To define teams, click the
Teams > Divisions & Teams choice on the Admin menu. This will bring up the Team Listing page. This page will show the leagues you've already defined with their teams listed under each. At first, there won't be any teams displayed, of course, but you can click the link titled "Add new team" to bring up a Team Information form. The form has the following fields:
- Team Name
- Use this field to specify the name of the team, up to 32 characters.
- Select which season this team belongs to.
- Set the team's parent league here. The list box will display all the leagues defined so far.
- Display Order
- By entering number in this field, you can determine the order in which your Teams appear on this page and in the initial list. If no number is entered, the order of the teams will be ordered alphabetically.
- Power Rating
- This number can be used to assign a rating number to each of your teams. When calculating standings, you can choose to use the Power Ratings of Losing Opponents as a tie breaker.
- Type your team's nickname here or optionally a sponsor name. The name you enter will appear on all team pages as part of the team name. This field is optional.
- Parent league(s) (when connected to a parent org)
- If your organization is part of a larger LeagueAthletics.com hosted "Parent" website and has selected that league in the Configuration section, this will be visible to you. The name of the Parent League will be visible along with a drop-down window of team choices. Select your corresponding team on this list. Keep in mind that your team may not be named exactly as you've created it on your site. This list is generated from the parent site and your team name will appear as it does on that site. It will not affect the team name that you have created on your site.
- Team is visible to the public
- By checking this box, the team will be available to be selected by the General Public. If un-checked, the team's information will be available only to Admins.
- Show Management coaches and managers
- Check this box to have the team's coaches and managers contact information displayed on the team's Bulletins page. While this information is also displayed on the team's Roster page, you may want to make it visible to the general public instead of just club members. This might be the case if you make game arrangements with other teams outside your organization and you want their managers to be able to locate and contact you.
- Password Protect Team Pictures
- This setting will password protect all pictures associated with this team. When selected the Team's PICTURES page will request a password. Team Members can asccess the page using either the Team Password (explained below) or their email address and individual registration password.
- Password Protect Schedules
- This setting will password protect schedules associated with this team. When selected the Team's schedule page will request a password. Team Members can asccess the page using their email address and individual registration password.
- Team Password
- Each of your teams can be assigned a password that parents and players can use to access its roster and documents area. If a password is assigned either here or on your site's Security page, visitors will be prompted for the password before they can access these pages. The Roster password specified on the Security page can be used globally for all teams while a password entered here will override it. If no password is entered here or on the Security page, access to the Roster and Team Documents pages will be unrestricted.
- Password hint
- Optionally, you can enter a phrase or clue to help team members enter the TEAM password.
- Scheduling Alias
- This optional field can be used to specify an alternate name for the team that would appear in imported game schedules. When you use the Game Import feature there needs to be a unique name for each team. Since many clubs use the same name in different leagues or divisions (like "Yankees" in both Major and Minor leagues for example), the Alias provides a place for a more targeted name like "MajorYankees" and "MinorYankees". When importing games, the program first looks for team Alias and then selects the most current one if there is more than one match (as there might be from a team in a previous season). If no Alias is found, it looks for the team's display name and again chooses the latest one. So, the Aliases you use only have to be unique among a single season's teams, UNLESS your season's overlap in which case, only the ones associated with the season with the later end date would be selected. If however your team names are already unique, there is no need to use this field.
- Hide schedule after
- Use this field to specify how far into the future to display the team's schedule. If you're still roughing in your game calendar, you may want to limit what the public can see using this field. This way, there won't be a lot of confusion as things are finalized. Also, some leagues publish their schedules a month or so at a time. This feature allows you to show the public what's done so far while continuing to work on the rest of the schedule. Note that even though the public won't be able to see any events after the date you enter here on individual team schedule pages, you as an administrator will.
- This team can be double booked
- This option allows this team to be booked for multiple events at the same time. Often this can be used for a "dummy" team where you need to schedule events to prevent others from using the facility. However, if unchecked for your traditional teams, this feature will make sure that this team is not scheduled for events at the same time on the same day.
- Live Schedule
- When this field is checked, any changes that are made to the team's schedule will cause an automatic email and text notification to be sent out to all team members and their parents. Again, if you're still roughing things in, you'll want to leave this field unchecked so as not to bombard your members with lots of changes before the schedule is actually complete.
Note: Setting the "Live" attribute or the "Publish Through" date does not cause emails to go out for events that would be covered by the new settings. This is on purpose in order to not overwhelm members with massive emails about all the additions and deletions. When doing mass additions, updates or deletions (via either an Import or manually entering a new schedule via New Event and editing it on-line) turn the Live feature off by either setting the "Publish Through" date appropriately or turning of the Live attribute. Import the schedule, turn the Live feature back on and then send out a broadcast news item or team bulletin announcing the update and referring folks to their schedule page on the website. The Live emails are intended to keep folks informed of incremental changes to schedules they have already seen. In the beginning of the season, it's probably best not to use the Live feature when you're first publishing the schedule but use regular broadcast facilities instead.
- Allow RSVPs
- This feature will allow coaches and managers to poll the players on their team for attendance at future games. If automatic event reminders are turned on, members will recieve an email about their event 48 hrs prior in an email. When sent, the email will include two buttons asking if the person will be at the event or not. When they respond, coaches can view the RSVPs from their Schedule page by clicking the thumbs-up icon. If someone declines to attend an event, coaches will be notified automatically via email.
- Manager Scheduling
- You can choose to allow team managers to schedule games for a team by checking these options.
- Add/edit practices only
will allow managers to access the Scheduling menu choices on the admin menu and can perform any scheduling task on practice-type events only.
- Add games and practices
will allow managers access to the Scheduling menu choices on the admin menu and can perform any scheduling task.
- Edit games and practices
if selection is checked, managers will only be able to edit existing games through the team's schedule or the Master Calendar in the Admin area.
- Add new event types
will allow managers to add additional event types when creating new events.
- Add/edit practices only
- Notify Email
- The email address entered in this field will automatically be notified if a game is scheduled with this team. This field is optional.
- Scheduling Blackout Periods
- This option is used in conjunction with the Schedule Generator . Use this option to specify a range of dates when this team cannot play. The dates specified here will prevent this team from being scheduled when you run the Schedule Generator for a particular division or group of teams. This may be useful for leagues or associations where teams have different vacation weeks for school or other events. You can specify one or multiple ranges here, or single days by entering the same date in both fields.
- Home Fields
- Optionally, you may select one or more "Home" field(s) that the team plays on. In order to select multiple facilities, use CTRL-click. This is specifically for organizations using the LeagueAthletics.com scheduling program.
- Public Roster
- When checked, a no-contact roster will be available to the General Public. This roster will contain the Name, Position and Jersey number of the player only. Optionally, you may choose to show only the first initial of the player's last name. For example, John Smith would appear as John S. When selected, this will apply to the Public Roster as well as Statistics, if selected.
- Hide Birthdays
- When checked, team members' birthdays will be hidden from the full contact roster. Admins and Team Managers will still have access when logged in.
- Team Management roster profiles
- Use this option to select which Bio sheet template will be shown when a Coach's/Manager's name is selected on a Team's Roster.
- Public Player profiles
- Use this option to select which Bio sheet template will be shown when a Player's name is selected on a Team's Public Roster.
- Private Player profiles (admins only)
- Use this option to select which Bio sheet template will be shown when a Player's name is selected on a Team's Roster.
- Private Bio Sheets (managers only)
- Use this option to select which Bio sheet template will be shown when a Team Manager clicks a name on a Team's Roster.
- Show Results Page
- When checked, a Results page will be available from the Teams area. The Results page will include links to individual game summaries. Admins with appropriate rights, including Managers, will be able to enter results from this page as well, when logged in.
- Player Statistics
- Here, you can select the appropriate setting for your team's statistics. The choices include:
- Are not recorded
Choose this if you do not want stats to be kept for this team.
- Allow Managers Only
This allows managers to enter and view stats, but does not allow players to view their statistics. This can be useful for evaluating players at the end of the season.
- Allow Team Members Only
This allows only players on that team to login and see their stats. Stats will not be available to the general public.
- Available to the Public
Stats entered will be available for anyone browsing the site to see.
Note: For Baseball clubs using the Little League Pitchers Report, one of the "Available" options must be selected.
- Are not recorded
- If you've defined sponsors through the Sponsors form (Admin>Tools>Add Sponsors) and they have their "Team Sponsor" attribute checked, they will be available for selection in this list as this team's sponsor. Click any of the sponsor's name to select them. Press and hold the Ctrl key while clicking others if you want to select more than one or de-select. Note that the sponsors selection box will not appear if you haven't entered any club sponsors.
When you select sponsors for a team, their logo or name will be displayed on all team pages. They'll be at the top of the Bulletins page and at the bottom of all others, including the printable versions. If there is no logo file for a sponsor, there will be a text link with their name instead. In addition, the page top banner will exclusively display the current team's sponsor rather than cycle through all club sponsor banners. That is until they choose another team or navigate to another tab.
Use these fields to customize the appearance of the entire site when visiting this team's pages. This will allow you to change the background, header, and menu tabs to have different images or colors from the homepage of the site.
- Team logo
- You can optionally upload a team logo here. To upload an image, use the Browse button to the right. When the form is submitted, your logo for this team will be uploaded to the site, and a thumbnail will be displayed on the team's roster page.
- Background Image
- You may upload your own image which will appear as the background image for the entire site when on this team's pages.
- Banner Image
- You may upload your own banner image which will appear as the banner image for the entire site when on this team's pages.
- Background Color
- Use this option to set the background color for the entire site when navigating this team's pages.
- Menu Color
- Use this option to set the menu bar color for the entire site when navigating this team's pages.
- Menu Text Color
- Use this option to set the menu bar's text color for the entire site when navigating this team's pages.