Rules 8U Baseball Machine Pitch
GENERAL MACHINE PITCH RULES
- 8U Division is machine pitch. Louisville Slugger Sling Machine (43 mph)
- Manager/Assistant Coach will work pitching machine when their team is hitting.
- To qualify as 8u, the player must be born on or after 5/1/09.
- 8U 5 pitch limit - if 5th pitch is fouled off the batter continues hitting until the ball is put in play or he/she strikeouts.
- No lead offs or steals. Leave base on contact.
- Play is declared dead once the lead runner is contained or gives himself up from advancing. Throwing the ball back to the pitcher will not “kill” the play.
- Bunting is allowed.
- The batter cannot show bunt, pull the bunt back and then swing at the pitch. If this occurs, the first time is a strike and warning for the team. The second time the batter is automatically out.
- The player that assumes the pitcher’s position must remain within the “mound” 8-ft.-diameter circle, behind the machine, and on one side or the other until the ball is hit. If the pitcher violates any of these requirements, then (1) The play will stand, even if the pitcher is involved in the play, and (2) The umpire(s) will warn the violating pitcher’s manager that if that same pitcher violates one or both requirements again, he/she will have to be removed fromt eh pitcher’s position. The player can assume another position but cannot re-enter as a pitcher in that game. The player may not be ejected from the game for this infraction. First base and third base may charge as close as they wish when a player shows bunt.
- If a batted fair ball hits any part of the pitching machine without touching any defensive player first, the ball is immediately dead. The batter will be awarded first base. All other runners return to the base that they occupied before the ball was hit unless forced to advance as a result of the batter being awarded first base. If a batted ball fair ball is first touched by a defensive player and then hits any part of the pitching machine, it is a live ball.
- 5 run rule per inning except the 6th inning will be unlimited.
- No more than 10 players will play on defense at a time (4 outfielders must start play in the grass). You may start and end with 8.
- No defensive coaches. Coaches are allowed in their general “dugout area” but are not permitted down the lines or on the opposite side of the field.
TIME LIMITS / HOME TEAM
Pool Play- No new inning start after 1 hour and 45 minutes (no drop dead) for 8U-12U
No new inning start after 2 hours (no drop dead) for 13U-14U
Ties are allowed / Coin toss for home team
Dugouts selected on a first come first serve basis
Bracket Play- No new inning start after 1 hour and 45 minutes (no drop dead) for 8U-12U
No new inning start after 2 hours (no drop dead) for 13U-14U
NO NEW INNING/DROP DEAD TIME LIMIT FOR CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES
Must be a winner / Higher seed is home team / No time limit in Championship game only
Home Team gets third base dugout, visiting team gets first base dugout
*Exception – if team is playing the following game on same field, they may stay in same dugout.
* There should only be a total of 2 minutes between innings (last out to first pitch). Have your pitcher and catcher ready. No meetings on the way out to the field.
* Start Times- Game will start when 1st pitch is thrown. Coaches should agree at start of game with ump.
* All managers (home and visiting) are required to check in at the tournament table at their complex 1 hour prior to the start of their game to detect a home team and collect game balls.
All games in pool and bracket play will become official after the team that is behind bats 4 times. If a game gets canceled prior to that happening the home book should track how much time is left in the time limit for when the game resumes. It will resume exactly where it left off.
NUMBER OF PLAYERS / BATTING ORDER
A team may start with either 10 or 11 (with EH) or the entire roster in the line-up. Once the game is in progress, a team may play with as few as 8 players due to injury, however, any vacated spot in the batting order will be an out each time it comes up in the game. No team may drop below 8 players in the lineup.
Teams may elect to bat 10, or 11 (with EH) or the entire roster. All players in the batting order will be considered a part of the line-up and they can substitute freely on defense. Players cannot play defensively unless they are in the batting line-up. The EH will be treated like any other defensive position for substitution rules. Any batter not in the lineup to start the game MUST be subbed in for a dedicated player, and take their position in the batting lineup. Those players are then married. The starting player can re-enter the game ONCE. The substitute player cannot re-enter the game once removed.
PLEASE NOTE: Each player is only allowed to be rostered on ONE TEAM entered in this tournament. If it is discovered that a team uses a player rostered on more than one team, both teams will forfeit each game that the player appeared in.
Courtesy runners are allowed at anytime for the pitcher or the catcher. You must use any player not currently in the batting order or the last batted out if batting the entire lineup.
If there is an injured player and the team has no eligible subs the opposing coach will select which player will enter the game.
Forfeits will go down as 7 – 0 in the record.
BIG BARRELL BATS ARE ALLOWED DURING TOURNAMENT
No metal cleats allowed
No noise-makers allowed. Umpire will warn offending team once. Second violation will result in manager ejection.
(a) Won-loss record; 2 points for win, 0 for loss, 1 point for tie
(b) Head to Head (if applicable)
(c) Runs allowed
(d) Runs scored
(e) Coin toss
*Please note that you are asked to make every effort to field a team for each game. If you fail to field a team you will forfeit the game. We will award 2 points to a team that is forfeited against, scoring zero runs allowed and 7 runs scored. The forfeiting team will be awarded zero points, 7 runs allowed and zero runs scored.
The winning team must report the score IMMEDIATELY after the conclusion of the game. Scores are to be reported by the winning team to the tournament table at the complex you are playing at. In addition, each team MUST email a picture or screen shot of their scorebook (digital scorebooks acceptable) with age group and team names included, within 30 minutes of the end of their game, or the game will be considered a 7-7 tie.
Email to send scorebooks: GMBLtournaments@gmail.com
There are no protests in this tournament. The umpires ruling shall remain final in all scenarios.
Good sportsmanship is always expected. Our umpires will strictly enforce the rules of good sportsmanship. If a manager/coach/player is ejected from the game, he will automatically be suspended from the next two games. If a parent is ejected from the field or complex, his player is also ejected. Both are suspended for 2 games.
The complex is a drug/alcohol/tobacco free complex. Any violation of this will result in IMMEDIATE removal from the complex by the individual for the remainder of the tournament. NO EXCEPTIONS. Mangers are responsible for making their team parents aware of this.
There are no grills, or open flames allowed on the complex.
Winning team must enter score IMMEDIATELY following conclusion of game. Bracket play begins in most divisions on Sat evening so this is important. Missing scores will count as a 7 – 7 tie.