Promoting youth hockey in New Brighton, MoundsView, St.Anthony and Shoreview MN
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 
Irondale Youth Hockey Association
Board Meeting: Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 6:30 p.m.
in the New Brighton Family Service Center, New Brighton, MN.
Address: IYHA, PO Box 120114, New Brighton, MN   55112 Web: www.iyhaleague.org
 
 
State of the Association – January 2006
 
            Happy New Year! I always consider the Christmas/New Years break from school as the “half time” of the youth hockey season. The traveling teams are facing several games and probably a tourney down the stretch before season ending District playoffs. We also quickly jump into the second SuperRink Spectacular Tournament on MLK weekend, just a short week away. Brian Johnson couldn’t bask in the glow of the success on the Thanksgiving edition for long before turning his full attention to round two. With the support of the membership, next weekends tourney will be another enjoyable (and profitable) event for the IYHA.
            During the recent process of exploring opportunities with Tri-City Hockey I have discovered something about our own Association. Irondale Youth Hockey should be proud of our strengths. While our teams may not be racking up an abundance of victories, Irondale is well regarded as an Association. We stack up well when it comes to organization and solvency. Our fees are among the lowest in youth hockey. This comes from several years of care from those who have served on the Board. As we ponder our short term and long-term future, the current Board will take extreme care to build upon our strengths and maintain what is important to the Association.
            You will be hearing from me as planning progresses for Irondale’s future. The days and weeks ahead will produce a definite direction. I will keep you informed.
 
Thanks,
Jim Cich, President - IYHA
 
From Brian Johnson, Vice President.
 
Super Rink Spectacular – Super C and Jr. Gold.  The second tournament of IYHA and MVYHA is fast approaching.  It is held Jan 13, 14, and 15.  The volunteer sign up slots will be out very soon.  Please consider volunteering so we can make this tournament as successful as Thanksgiving!  Good luck to our Irondale teams!
 
Raffle.  The Super C tournament is raffling off a kayak, Fogarty print, a portable fish house and other prizes.  Only $5 per ticket.  Please encourage sales of these raffle tickets.
 
Equipment Loaner Program.  Perhaps your skater has outgrown some equipment this year.  Please consider donating it to IYHA’s ELP.  I have a couple of current requests for 1st year skaters and we could use some more donations.  Thanks to all that have already contributed.  Nearly all the equipment is out on loan!
 
Board Position.  I have greatly enjoyed my nearly two years of serving as the IYHA Vice President.  I want to concentrate on other activities, so I will not be running for another term.  I will continue supporting IYHA by helping out where I can. 
 
Sponsorships:
There have been several teams that have sponsors for their teams. These are listed below. This part of the newsletter will continue throughout the rest of the IYHA season. Please notify Niki Gjere of any additions or corrections. (Please forward information about websites and addresses, etc.) Many thanks to our sponsors!
 
IYHA: **Champp’s New Brighton**Culvers of St. Anthony**New Brighton Sportsmen’s Club**Lake Region Hockey Association**
**Minnesota Wild**Lady Slipper**Premier Banks**John Dalnes Masonry**
12U Maroon: **Real Estate Appraisals and Inspections, Inc.**
Bantam A: **Applebee’s**
Pee Wee B: **Quality Post Service**
Squirt B:    **Midwest Motor Express**
 
Once again, many, many thanks to our sponsors! Please support them! When you see them, please tell them you are from Irondale Youth Hockey.
IYHA Board Meetings are open meetings.
Please feel free to come to the meetings. If you wish to have a copy of any information which is distributed at any meeting, please email or call Niki and it will be mailed to you. Upcoming dates for 2005 Board meetings are the
third Thursday of every month at 6:30 p.m. Our meetings have at in the New Brighton Family Service Center.
2006: January 19, February 16, March 16, April 20, May 18, June 15, July 20, August 17, September 21, October 19, November 16, December 14 (December meeting week changed due to holiday).
NOTE: If you wish to be on the agenda for the meeting, please contact Jim Cich.
Lake Region Board Meetings:
Lake Region Hockey meetings are open meetings. Contact Jeanne Falconer for dates and times of the next meetings.
            Irondale Youth Hockey Association (IYHA) Board Members 2004-2005
President           
 
Jim Cich
(2005-2007)
651-295-1078 (cell)
Vice President
Brian Johnson
(2004-2006)
 651-635-0484
 
Treasurer
Jeanne Falconer
(2004-2006)
 
763-458-5946 (cell)
651-486-1235 (w)
Secretary
Niki Gjere
(2005-2007)
612-273-6439 (w)
651-270-8551 (cell)
612-527-7437 (pager)
Ice Commissioner
Renae Olesen
(2004-2007)
763-784-6864 (h)
Boys Program Coordinator
Mark Mohar
(2005-2008)
651-639-1908 (h)
 
Girls Program Coordinator
Chris Tahti
(2005-2008)
651-636-6152 (h)
 
(home)
Initiation Coordinator
Cheryl Mason
(2003-2006)
651-639-1543 (h)
Equipment
Randy Bortot
(2004-2007)
763-784-9557 (h)
952-475-4045 (Work)
Registration
Pat O’Connor
(2003-2006)
651-636-1081 (h)
 
District Representative
 
Tom Welty
(2004-2007)
763-780-4865 (h)
612-508-4833 (cell)
Non-Board Position:
ACE Coordinator
John Donovan
651-786-5200ext2480 (w)
651-592-1187 (h)
(home)
(work)
 
Irondale Youth Hockey Association Board Meeting Minutes:
IYHA Board of Directors meeting December 15, 2005. Note: These minutes have not been approved. They will be reviewed, corrected as needed, and approved at the next regular Board of Directors Meeting.
Board members present: Jim Cich, Brian Johnson, Niki Gjere, Cheryl Mason, Chris Tahti, Mark Mohar, Randy Bortot, Pat O’Connor, Cheryl Mason.
Board Members absent:    Jeanne Falconer, Tom Welty, Renae Olesen.
Guests:                                  Tim Fredberg, John Donovan.
 
Meeting called to order by President Jim Cich at 6:35 p.m. Agenda reviewed. Minutes reviewed. Motion to approve the minutes as presented (RB) (BJ). Motion carried.
 
Election follow up: Jim Cich.Received one response. Due to the rest of the agenda, will defer to next month.
 
Tri-City Updates and Discussion: Jim Cich. Distributed information regarding ice projections for all of the teams. Outlined the information with IYHA and the potential addition of Tri-City players. IYIHA has approximately 260 players rostered. Tri-City consists of primarily Columbia Heights and Fridley. There are only 4 skaters from Brooklyn Park. Working with the Super Rink people—Pete Carlson has the information about the old agreements. Paul Erickson is in charge of the new rinks. Explanation of the ice at Columbia—our ice will NOT transfer up to the Super Rink. See attached documents that explain Ice Scheduling Rationale, Irondale’s Projective teams & Tri-City Player projections, and Ice Scheduling Rationale. There have been questions if we are getting all of the ice that we are entitled to. We are receiving the ice we are supposed to from both Super Rink and Ramsey County.
 
Discussion about what we should be doing in relation to Tri-City requests for merger. Many concerns about a possible merger. We cannot commit to a merger because of their need to commit to the Super Rink for the ice—on one of the new sheets. They will receive ice at the Super Rink as a transfer of their Columbia ice.
 
Motion to enter into an agreement with Tri-City Youth Hockey to co-op for 2006-2007 season, remain in TC District, a committee to be made up of members of each Board of Directors to work out details; with the members appointed by the Presidents of each Association (NG) (CM). Discussion. This is less than a merger at this point. We must maintain the Irondale identity. Concern expressed about making sure we are able to wear Irondale jerseys and apparel. Concern about needing to preserve the High School system. Must not enter into an agreement that is disadvantageous or leading to the demise of Irondale. Association members have been expressing support, lack of support, concern about loss of identity. WE must be able to back out of the co-op agreement if it is going in the wrong direction. We need to be able to protect our agreement with Lake Region, with the Super Rink (Ramsey rink) and tournaments. Our situation is complex, and we must consider all aspects of the co-op and what this means for us. Committee would be the ones to assist us in answering these questions and concerns. They would be the ones to work out the details. This may be the first step in a merger, or not. Motion re-read. Question called. Motion carried with one abstention.
 
Board of Directors Roundtable:
President: Jim Cich. Paul Erickson of the Super Rink would like us to get together to hear a presentation about the expansion project. Possibly on Dec 27th at the Xcel. Jim will check his calendar—and will email if it will be on December 27th or at a later date.
 
Vice President: Brian Johnson. Received a check for the tournament proceeds for $10,000 on the Saturday night of the tournament. Received another $1,650. Total of $11,650. This far surpasses what we have made in the past. A HUGE thank you to Tim Fredberg! He was responsible for the raffle. This was key in the success of the tournament. The ATV was won by a person in North Oaks—he had never even sat on an ATV before. The vendors did well at the Trade Show. Fogerty will donate a print for the January Tournament.
There is a perception that Mounds View receives 70% of profits and Irondale 30% of profits. This is not true! We split the profits equally. On another topic, will send another letter to the Lady Slipper to ask for donations. Will continue to seek donors.
 
Secretary: Niki Gjere. Deadline for newsletter is typically the 1st. Due to holiday, will move to January 3rd. Need direction about the website—one of our members has requested that apparel that he sells be available on the website. Discussion. This should be okay—we do not have any official apparel vendor. Will evaluate as this may change—if we would have an official vendor, and will evaluate each year. Mark and I will pull the historical documents of the Association together and save on a CD, possibly on the website. There is a gap in the official documents, and working to fill these gaps. Also, the Bantam A team is fundraising for a tournament trip to Wisconsin. It sounded as though fund-raising was encouraged at the manager meeting in the Fall, so the team is selling candy, will have a pancake breakfast at Applebee’s in January, and will do other fundraisers.
 
Treasurer: Jeanne Falconer. Absent. No report.
 
Ice Commissioner: Renae Olesen. Absent. Has a family emergency. Will be unavailable for 1-2 weeks. Cheryl will assist with the ice. Brian has sent an email out to the managers outlining what to do if questions about ice. Renae is not using the ice-scheduling software—Cheryl will offer to load on her computer which is compatible with the ice scheduling software. Cheryl will learn the software. We have had double bookings of ice, which is costly. Rink managers are asking why we are not using the scheduler—they are accustomed to that format. Thank you Cheryl for assisting.
 
Boys Program Coordinator: Mark Mohar. Will do a hockey day in the park the last Saturday of January. Will try to get Hanson Park. Will distribute flyers; Brian will bring extra skates, will find sticks. Encourage the kids to bring a friend.
                Jim reports that the Referee in Chief did contact him—he believes the referees followed the correct protocol for head injury when one of our players was injured. There was no loss of consciousness.
 
Girls Program Coordinator: Chris Tahti. Apple Valley canceled tournaments. The 10U Maroon team has just 15 games, and the one tournament they had left they had already played. The Girls program concerns are related to Twin Cities District not having enough teams for a full schedule. We had been assured there would be room in District 2 for us to play. This is not happening. One of the girls’ teams is playing in District 2; the other 3 teams are going all over the place. The playoffs for 10U Maroon are during Spring break—we do not have enough players so we have withdrawn from the playoffs. There are checks from the other (canceled) tournaments to return to Jeanne Falconer.
                Brighter note—12U Gold team has a new coach. She is a graduate from the Naval Academy. Originally from Houston.
 
Initiation Program Coordinator: Cheryl Mason. One skater broke her ankle. There has been a request from Chris for clinic time—ice to do this. Initiation is going to do their clinics outside. Had read there is another association that has 2 seasons of hockey—this may be interesting. Will check this out.
                C Mites and Girls IP: there are concerns expressed from parents because there are 18-20 kids in C Mites and 3-4 girls in Girls-IP. They each skate on their own half of the ice—doesn’t seem equal or fair. Need to do this, concern about cost of the ice to the Girls IP families, Chris will ask other Girls’ players families if they are interested in assisting Girls IP with ice costs.
 
Registration Coordinator: Pat O’Connor. Doing last supplement. Coach rostering—seems as though this issue is resolving. There are enough coaches at 10U Gold. Again—it would be helpful to have the teams rostered earlier. 
 
Equipment Manager: Randy Bortot. Coach’s jackets are in. If coaches believe they are eligible for the jackets, they need to work through the Program Coordinator.
 
District Representative: Tom Welty. Absent.
 
ACE Coordinator: John Donovan. HEP scores are being entered—all 4 girls teams are in, have heard from one of the boy’s teams that they are sending the report in. Some times are improving, some are not. Overall—direction is positive. Thank you to everybody for getting HEP stuff done. Question about billing and payment—will work with Coordinators and President to resolve this issue.
 
Lake Region: Jeanne Falconer. Absent. No report.
 
No additional business.
 
Motion to adjourn meeting (NG) (RB), no discussion. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 9:32 p.m.
Would you like to have something published in the newsletter? Please contact Niki Gjere. Information you share is helpful in keeping our members up to date about activities of the Irondale Youth Hockey Association! The deadline for the next month’s newsletter is the first of each month. Thank you!