Promoting youth hockey in New Brighton, MoundsView, St.Anthony and Shoreview MN
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 

Irondale Youth Hockey Association

Board Meeting: Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 6:30 p.m.

at the New Brighton Family Service Center, New Brighton, MN.

Address: IYHA, PO Box 120114, New Brighton, MN   55112 Website: www.iyhaleague.org




From President (Tom Lucarelli):

 

Hello,

 

We are fast approaching a new season – playoff hockey for some of our teams.  A few regular season games remain and then district playoffs and maybe with a few good bounces of the puck hopefully regions and the state tournament.  Good luck to those Knight teams participating in post season play.

 

If you have an opportunity, go and support the varsity girls and boys teams as they enter the playoffs. Be a student of the game by paying close attention to all parts of the game when players have the puck and are in the offensive zone and when the puck is in the defensive zone.

 

As the season winds down I hope your son or daughter had first and foremost fun playing the game of hockey and have shown improvement over the past few months.   A big thanks goes out to all the folks in the organization who help keep things running – from all the volunteers, coaches, parents and those businesses that help support IYHA.

 

See you at the rink,

 

Tom

 

From Web Master (Torri Johnson):

 

Website News:

 

Credit Card Payments - these are now a reality!  IYHA now has the ability to receive credit card payments from you through our website.  This should help streamline registration for next year and may be used for the monthly team payments by using a scheduled payment feature.  Team Payments are being tested this year with the Bantam A team before it is rolled out to everyone.  No credit card information is stored on the website nor does the website administrator have access to your credit card information.  If you have any questions, contact your Team Treasurer or the IYHA Treasurer. 

 

Sponsorship Report - the latest version of the sponsorship report is posted in the Documents section on the left hand side of the home page.  Please share with your sponsors and thank them for their support of IYHA.

 

IYHA Trophy Gallery - we keep historical tournament award results in the trophy gallery.  If you have some old photos or results, please send them in.  As you can see, we don't have much history posted in this section.

 

***************************************************************************************************************************

 

Election in April

 

Attention all Association Members:  Four board positions will be available in the April election.  They are President, Secretary, Initiation Coordinator and Registration Coordinator.  Please be thinking about your interest in these positions or someone to be nominated.  We will be forming a nominating committee and sending out more details soon.  Thanks!

 

***************************************************************************************************************************

Irondale’s A-Mites will be skating at the AA State Championship 3rd place game

on Saturday March 14th @4:00pm. 
They have tickets for sale and you will also be able to stay to watch

the CHAMPIONSHIP game at 7:00pm.
Please contact Kara Chamberlain if you are interested in purchasing tickets.

(erikara2@hotmail.com)
$15 Adult and $10 Child

*************************************************************************

 

Please come and join us!

Bantam A Pancake Breakfast

& Silent Auction

Saturday, February 21st – 8:30 to 11:00am

Moe’s in Mounds View

 

******************************************************************************************************

From  Boys Coordinator (Mark Rupp):

 

The current season is quickly winding down; our teams will soon be finished with their tournaments and district play.  As they all enter post season play, I wish the parents, players and coaches good luck.

 

IYHA Board Meetings are open meetings.

Please feel free to come to the meetings. If you wish to have a copy of any information which is distributed at any meeting, please email or call Jean Aukee and it will be mailed to you. Upcoming dates for 2009 Board meetings are the

third Thursday of every month at 6:30 p.m.  Our meetings are held at the New Brighton Family Service Center.

Meetings will be:  March 26, April 16, May 21, June 18, July 16 and August 20.

NOTE: If you wish to be on the agenda for the meeting, please contact the IYHA President.

 

Lake Region Board Meetings:

Lake Region Hockey meetings are open meetings. Contact Theresa Spiering for dates and times of the next meetings.

Sponsorships:

Sponsors for teams are listed below. This part of the newsletter will continue throughout the rest of the IYHA season. Please notify Jean Aukee of any additions or corrections. (Please forward information about websites and addresses, etc.) Many thanks to our sponsors!

IYHA: **Lake Region Hockey Association**, **Moes**, **Champps**, **Meisters**, **Big 10 Tavern**, **Make It Big Photos** and

**Dave’s Sport Shop**.

Team Sponsorships:

Girls:

Boys:

Bantam A:  **Response Fire Protection**, **WW Goetsch Assoc**, and **MN Conway Fire**

Pee Wee B:  **Jensen, Bell, Converse and Erickson, PA**, **Western Bank** and **Dr John Hollerud, MD of Fridley Children’s and Teen’s Medical Center**

Squirt:  

Mite:  

Once again, many, many thanks to our sponsors! Please support them!

When you see them, please tell them you are from Irondale Youth Hockey.  

                Irondale Youth Hockey Association (IYHA) Board Members 2008-2009

President         

 

Tom Lucarelli

(2007-2009)

763-792-4710

tlucarelli@responsefireprotection.com

Vice President

Monica Crandall

(2008-2010)

763-234-9316 (c)

  

Treasurer

Theresa Spiering

(2008-2010)

763-780-4548 (h)

651-324-9181(c)

Secretary

Jean Aukee

(2007--2009)

763-783-8561 (h)

 

Ice Commissioner

Kara Chamberlain

(2007-2010)

763-786-1978 (H)

763-639-0847 (C)

Boys Program Coordinator

Mark Rupp

(2008-2011)

651-269-3027 (h & c)

Girls Program Coordinator

Mike Nundahl

(2008-2011)

651-633-8287 (h)

Initiation Coordinator

Bob Gabler

(2006-2009)

651-697-4708 (h)

 

Equipment

Tom Johnson

(2007-2010)

651-636-7684

Registration

Jeanne Falconer

(2006-2009)

763-458-5946 (cell)

651-486-1235 (w)

 

District Representative

 

Chris Drews

 (2007-2010)

651-329-3124 (cell)

Non-Board Positions:

ACE Coordinator and Player Development Committee

 

Mark Rupp

(2008-2009)

 

651-269-3027 (h & c)

 

 

Irondale Youth Hockey Association January  Meeting Minutes:

 

IYHA Meeting Board Meeting:  January 15, 2009.  Note: These minutes have not been approved. They will be reviewed, corrected as needed, and approved at the next regular Board of Directors Meeting.

 

Called to order at 6:40 p.m. by President Tom Lucarelli.

 

Board Members Present:  Tom Lucarelli, Jean Aukee, Monica Crandall, Chris Drews, Mike Nundahl, Mark Rupp and Theresa Spiering

 

Board Members Absent:  Bob Gabler, Jeanne Falconer, Kara Chamberlain and Tom Johnson

 

Guests:  Torri Johnson, Geoff Smith, Cindy Anderson, Paul Dulin, Gary Elmes, Steve Clark, and Tom Pederson

 

Minutes:  Motion to accept board meeting minutes as presented (CD) (MN); all accepted; motion carried. 

 

                Chris had 2 corrections – change number of volunteers needed from 7 to 8 and no hearing for Logan incident.

 

We went around the table with introductions because of some new faces at the meeting.

 

Old Business:

 

A.     Future of IYHA – Rick LaPorte will not be in attendance but is planning the Open Forum meeting for the 1st week of February – a notification will be sent out soon.

 

New Business:    

               

a.     Update Bylaws for Edison – 2009/2010 season – bylaws were changed 1 and ½ years ago to accommodate Edison kids for next 2 years – that needs to be addressed for future – allowing them to try out as A players – Edison only has 2 mite teams not trying to run their own program – Edison kids allowed because they feed into Irondale HS – Edison kids help our numbers – should continue?  Read bylaws – section regarding Edison – Chris – what about Future of IYHA topic – should be a non issue – regardless what we do they should still be included – Chris moves to extend the Edison policy for another 2 years – MR second – all approved, motion carried.  Jean update bylaws.

 

b.     Communication re Volunteer Hours completed or not – Jean – what Jean, Torri and Monica are currently doing with the data on the website – does everyone know to fill it out online – send out a reminder – some team managers are reminding their parents – Monica question on how to cross reference who is in the assn vs who submitted their volunteer hours – Cindy – maybe team treasurer could keep track of volunteer hours instead of team managers who are too busy – Monica will draft something for Jean to send out via email and Torri to post on website.

 

c.     Future scheduling – Paul Dulin – last months minutes re “can’t be more than 2 peewee teams on the ice at a time – no rule to that effect” – some practices have 3 peewee teams – not good – skills is OK to have more than two – Torri – meeting discussed times where there were 3 teams – teams could negotiate on their own – teams could do a 30-60-30 split – never an intention to have 3 teams on the ice – minutes said coaches harassing ice commissioner – Paul’s were nice to Kara – Torri pull up emails – miscommunication – hope to fix it so that 3 teams not on the ice – teams should have worked it out after given the schedule – that was discussed at the ice splitting up meeting with the ice commissioner, Torri, and coordinators – need to come together to reschedule ice – there is a process to follow – Kara won’t deal with each team – the teams need to work together – at first there were mixed messages as Kara was new – hopefully things better now – Per Tom – teams work it out.

 

Fuddruckers Money from Paul to Theresa - $286.74 – thank you Dulins for coordinating event.

 

d.     Team Apparel - Chris Drews – talked about it 3 months ago – IYHA having one style of warm up suit – if want to do this Chris will spearhead it – not required to purchase them but if your team will have a warm up suit we should all get the same thing – Tom – try to find out how many would be interested and what kind of price break you could get – Mark has done some of this and would be willing to help – Cindy doesn’t like that idea – misunderstood – thought all teams had to buy the same thing including sweatshirts etc – but really only if a team wants a warm up suit they buy the Irondale “standard” – Torri found on website choices for Highland Central – end of the season (perhaps in the survey) find out who would be interested in doing this – some places create them year round and some only create them in the fall – Chris will see if he can get pricing for next months meeting.

 

e.     Tryout Schedule – Kara and Mark – Kara not here – child injured – Mark comments – why do we start when we do – if started registration later would not interfere with football – 10 sessions of warm-ups and tryouts – impacts other sports – soccer etc – impacts Wednesday night religion and confirmation – higher level teams need to get formed earlier than perhaps lower level teams – ice times need to be purchased – 9/8 to 10/2 was last years spread for warm ups and tryouts – historically we have started the 2nd week in September – registration time frame rolls into ice times and paperwork and USA hockey fees and regulations – Football doesn’t schedule anything for Wed or Fri nights – good times for tryouts?  Geoff – thanks to Kara for calling him and talking about this issue – see his handout for the timeline of football – in August would like to know when ice times are but need to know it by level so they can be coordinated with football games at each level – football only goes for 10 weeks – last year did much better – thanks to Tom Johnson – if could have no football games and hockey tryouts on same days would be great – practices may overlap and we can live with that – Geoff needs ice times by levels – Mark wants to move tryouts back – can bantams be done earlier and peewees and squirts be done later – bantams can all be listed as one team until December 31st – impacts girls too because of tennis, volleyball, religion etc – more ice in September and October because HS hasn’t started yet – also impacts kids – busy 7 days a week with 2 sports – Kara – Ramsey county ice – get more later ice than earlier ice – once Kara purchases the ice Mark should be able to divide up the tryout and warm up times – if that is provided to Geoff than he can use it to schedule football games – football goes mid August to mid October – Geoff willing to meet with Kara and Mark during the summer and share his dates with us to help work things out – out of 20 kids on a football team 9 were trying out for hockey and – there will be overlap – just trying to make things better.  Football is by grade level and hockey is by age on July 1st – but the majority of the kids should be accommodated – kids that miss tryouts and end up on a C team could move up in extreme situations – shouldn’t hold anyone back because of ability – schedule needs to watch for LEC too in September for Bel Air and Sunnyside

 

Board Roundtable:

 

President: Tom Lucarelli. – Mark have year end meeting with coaches – how did things go?  Thanks to all who worked on the January tournament especially Monica and Cheryl – next Wed presidents meeting – district 1 changes.

 

Vice President: Monica Crandall. – tournament committee has not met yet – still no numbers from thanksgiving tournament – January went well – team feedback – love our tournament – will start working on volunteers stuff as mentioned previously – how were the girls teams perceived seeing this was the first year – gave 2 U10 spots away for free to fill it – good feedback from the girls teams too – should be better next year – although Duluth has a big tournament that same weekend – 47 teams – can we get some concession money for the SSR?  We would then probably have to staff those positions – currently the SSR won’t let us bring in food to sell – doesn’t hurt to ask the SSR – do we get a discount on the ice at the SSR tournaments?  That could be a bargaining chip.

 

Secretary: Jean Aukee. – Reminder that input for the newsletter is due on the 1st of each month.  If you don’t have anything, please reply to Jean’s email saying that.  If you have a written report that can be emailed to Jean for the minutes, please do so.  Thanks. 

 

Chuck a puck money – thanks to Rich and Tracy Sonterre – 2 envelopes – Thanksgiving – whole assn and January – by team – these were given to Theresa.

 

Vinyl Clings – Jean donated 150 clings to the Fundraising Committee – she has recouped her investment – they can do with them as they please.

New Brighton Post Office is moving – PO boxes moving too – therefore we need to turn in our old keys and get new keys.

 

Treasurer: Theresa Spiering. – see handout – $5400 from last meeting was just raffle money – actually was $7900 – remainder will be coming after the tournament committee meets – should be around $30,000 – 5 Willard fund submitted – 3 had submitted in the past – 2 got money – other 3 are now looking for IYHA assistance – the executive committee reviews the letters and determines how it should be distributed – budgeted $1500.   Per Chris Drews $14,000 budgeted for district 1 – actual bill $18,340 – biggest increase because of more games this year – district 2 – league fee $300 per team – 10UB league fees is $650 per team - $150 for each bantam home game,  $64 for each pee wee game and $60 for each squirt game.  Coaches – CEP refunds – Theresa has handed them out.  Per Torri - Credit Cards – what going on?  Jeanne took over back in September or so.  Mid-November stuff was sent in – what happened with it?  We should be doing it – stupid not to – Torri could have it done in 2 weeks.  Chris moves that Torri complete the set up of the credit card system under the guise of the audit committee – Torri, Barb and Phil.  Mark and Theresa seconded – all approved – motion carried.

 

Boys Program Coordinator: Mark Rupp. – all coaches made the Dec 31st deadline for CEP – thanks for getting them done.  Teams are well into district and tournament play – PWA won 3rd in Albert Lea and 2nd in Waseca.  SQB won consolation champs.  January 17thCelebrate MN hockey – SQC playing Mounds View at 3:00 at Central Park.  See Mark’s actual notes below:

Coaches – To my knowledge, all our coaches did make the deadline of December 31 to update their CEP levels and/or expiration dates.  Some were finished right at the last minute but all are now complete…..thank you.

Teams – Our teams are well into District and Tournament play with varying degrees of success.  Our PWA team recently won 3rd place in the Albert Lea tournament.  The PWA squad also won 2nd place at the Waseca tournament.  Our SQB squad won the Consolation championship in a 4-3 overtime shoot out game.  It is nice to see some hardware brought back from these tournaments.  I hope I have not forgotten any of our other teams’ successes.   More tournaments and year end activities will take place over the next 30-45 days.  From all accounts, our kids are having fun and becoming better hockey players.

Hockey Day in Minnesota -   (A Reminder) As part of this celebration, our SQC squad will be playing outdoors at Central Park in St. Anthony.  Their opponent will be Mounds View, and to my knowledge, highlights will be shown on Fox Sports Net.  Directions to Central park are on our website.

 

Girls Program Coordinator: Mike Nundahl. – congrats to 12U’s took 3rd place in our tournament – good feedback from girls in tournament - 14U ranking should be going up – they are still in the top 10 – beat teams above them – got one more U8 – keep recruiting kids you know – website showed full for one level – Torri fixed.

 

Initiation Program Coordinator: Bob Gabler. – Not here and no report – initiation issue on website – Torri doesn’t know about it – mini mites and c’s are moving around – if they move make sure Torri knows so kids are getting the correct reminders.

 

District Representative: Chris Drews. – Advanced 15 - check with Tyler Fitzel regarding select 15 boy’s roster.  Mike – what girls?  Deadline is today.  Torri text Tyler (he did send the list in).  We need 8 volunteers for March 21st - Richfield.  Referee in Chief – 12 inch goalie pads – tell Tom Johnson.  2 discipline hearings – 1 coach – don’t put your foot on the ice or will be a match penalty – another one a kid kicking another kid – out until hearing.  Coaches – we need to know about game misconducts!  Report to district director within 24 hours of incident or the coach will be given a misconduct.  Communicated at the Pee Wee B and above meeting – others were not communicated too.  For the Logan incident apparently we asked the ref and he said nothing else needed to be done.  District 1 changes – have tournaments with teams of equal sizes – on a map it doesn’t make sense but trying to group appropriate teams together – all want something different and all for own benefit – want to keep district 1 around – even if not as many associations.  Go to http://district1.pucksystems2.com/attachments/document/0004/3401/January09Minutes.pdf for actual minutes.

 

Ice Commissioner:  Kara Chamberlain. – Not here and no report

 

Registration Coordinator:  Jeanne Falconer. – Not here and no report

 

Equipment Manager: Tom Johnson. – Not here and no report

 

Standing Reports:

 

Player and Coach Development: Mark Rupp. – Jeff O sent a note about the meeting last Monday – Mark wasn’t there – he wrote down the wrong date – will send to me.  3 on 3 jamborees and clinics coming up.  See Mark’s actual notes below:

 

A PCDC meeting took place this past Monday January 12th.  Unfortunately I had the wrong date written down and missed the meeting.   Jeff Opperman (PDCD Chair) has forwarded the meeting notes.

Clinic practice plans – Jeff has been working closely with Tadd to receive these materials in a more timely manner in order to get it on the web be the Friday prior to he clinic.  Jeff is confident this will be happening. 

Goalie training   Goalie specific skills training has been set up and is on the master schedule.   Matt Millar will be conducting these events. 

Does anyone else on the committee have anything else to share? 

 

Lake Region: Theresa Spiering. – meeting will be next week.

Fundraising Committee:  Monica Crandall.  spoke with Polly Hanson at SSR tournament – do her proposal in October 2009 – Stamp It Up – approved by committee.  Website item for each fundraiser activity – Moe’s, Fuddruckers, Wild?  Fundraising committee – when need new members?  Let us know so it can be communicated.  Calendar sales – mites didn’t get information until late because mite managers were determined later – how many were sold and how many are left?

Additional business: 

 

Minnesota hockey recruiting and retention committee – need one volunteer – Chris send out an email.

 

Clinics – very good for the kids – Tadd does a great job – mite coaches want to help them learn the game – would like to have clinics run until January and then drop them so they can have more practice times – all levels should be separated – too confusing for younger kids in with big kids – Mark should share this with the player development committee – per Torri, can send an email to the player development committee via the website – initiation coordinator asked for mites to go all year long – the coaches are learning a lot from Tadd too – biggest problem with mite and squirts together.

 

IYHA Banners on order for SSR 4 – celebration ceremony?

 

Saturday AM – Moe’s – boy’s HS hockey team – 9:00 to 11:30 pancake breakfast

 

Mark asked about the trophy cabinet at SSR – cancelled a few months ago.

 

Motion to adjourn meeting (CD) (MR); motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:53 p.m.



Would you like to have something published in the newsletter? Please contact Jean Aukee. Would you like something on the Web Site? Contact Torri Johnson at Information you share is helpful in keeping our members up to date about activities of the Irondale Youth Hockey Association! (The deadline for the next month’s newsletter is the first of each month.) Thank you!