Promoting youth hockey in New Brighton, MoundsView, St.Anthony and Shoreview MN
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Irondale Youth Hockey Association
Next Board Meeting: Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 6:30 p.m.
at the New Brighton Family Service Center, New Brighton, MN.

Address: IYHA, PO Box 120114, New Brighton, MN   55112 Website: www.iyhaleague.org  

From President Kevin Bourassa:
Another very exciting month has just passed.  I asked my wife the other day where all the time is going.  With another 15-20 meetings this month we are fast approaching next year.  With school ending and summer beginning, the NHL Finals are in full force, we are preparing a journey for our players to embark on for the next year. 

We will be electing a new Board Member, and putting a Director of Player and Coach Development in place in the coming weeks.  I cannot believe how excited I am about the opportunities our association has before it.  The Board is trying to get all the right pieces in the place so that we can be successful on the ice next year.  We are working very aggressively on Fundraising, Recruitment, Registration, Player and Coach Development, and Ice Scheduling to name a few.  There are many facets of the association that sometimes go unnoticed.  Be advised that you have a great group of volunteers working within the community but we could always use more.  Please look at your own talents and how they fit within the association and give us a chance to put them to work.  My mother always said that many hands make light work. 

Lastly, Players, this is what it is all about.  I always say any decisions we make that are for the betterment of all the kids is a good decision.  Take some time off from skating if you like but dust off the Roller Blades and get that street hockey stick out of the can in the garage.  EVERYTHING you do or do not do this summer will directly affect your performance on the ice next year.  What better way to promote the sport in the community than have some kids lead a group of people roller blading with Knight Jerseys around Long Lake and up and down streets with sticks and a ball.  We need to make sure we stick handle and shoot pucks.  The 10 minutes a day that you mess around now will make huge dividends come next season and all of our teams could use a few more passes and goals next year.  My statement about How can we do it better goes for off-season workouts as well.

The journey will not be accomplished overnight but is one that we are ready for.  I am very excited to be a small part of such a great organization.  I look forward to the opportunities that we will face.  We should all be very proud of our kids and our group that we are a part of.  Let’s all roll up the sleeves and pitch in and make this association even better.

Have a great summer!!!

Shoot some pucks with the kids!!!

Kevin Bourassa

 

 

Association News and Notes

 

Off-Ice Accomplishments

From www.responsiblesports.com:

Congratulations to Coach Sonterre!

Liberty Mutual is proud to announce the
2009 Responsible Coaching Winner's Circle!

Liberty Mutual is proud to support the men and women who volunteer their time to help make our children’s youth sports experience rewarding. 

At Liberty Mutual, we think Responsible Coaches:

·    Demonstrate an on going commitment to the well-being of athletes

·    Achieve & maintain excellence on and off the field

·    Exhibit a high level of coaching competence

·    Honor and respect the game

Congratulations to these coaches, selected by an independent judging panel for their exemplary dedication and commitment to responsibility in youth sports, both on and off the field.

Our Responsible Coaching Award winners receive a $250 gift card, personalized Responsible Coaching Award trophy, and promotion in the Winner's Circle below and on our partner websites.

Richard Sonterre

Team Name:  Girls 10U Hockey

Team Location:  New Brighton, MN

Team Sport:  Ice Hockey

 Coaching Philosophy:

 I strongly believe that all youth athletes, consciously or unconsciously, develop an attitude toward sport that is consistent with the attitude displayed by their coaches and mentors. An angry, win driven coach will nearly always gravitate toward pointing out the errors in the youth athlete’s production and certainly in the performance of the referees and officials. As such, I strive to ensure that youth athletes first hear the positive contributions that they have made to their team and try to give constructive criticism that includes specific examples of how to improve.

 
We are pleased to announce the following unsung local heroes as the recipients of the 2009 Responsible Coaching Awards! Please join us in congratulating these positive role models in our communities!

 

 

 








Website News
 

From Torri Johnson: 

1) A new Fundraising button is now added to the left hand side of the home page.  This will contain the various events/fundraisers that IYHA participates in.

2) There are new color code options for your multiple schedules on the website.  You now have the option to choose your color by player so you can keep track easier of who will be playing where.  Go to Our Teams/Multi-Schedule

3) Just like last year, your USA Hockey registration must be done prior to registering on-line for IYHA.  USA Hockey creates its own registration program which is different from the local associations.  USA Hockey registration is currently open for the new season and is found at www.usahockeyregistration.com 

Fundraising

From Tami Felling, Fundraising Committee:

Great turnout for the Knight Out on Monday June 8 at Roseville Fuddruckers!

The next Knight Out event takes place on Monday July 13 from 4-8 p.m. at the Arden Hills Davannis. Go to the website and click on the fundraising tab for more details and to print the coupon!

See you there!

From Darren and Rhonda McConnell:

The Flyer for the 5K is done.  The date is September 26th, at the Mermaid.  Check out the IYHA website and www.midwestevents.com.  This has the potential to be a huge event!  Spread the word!

Community Events

From Heidi Dulin:

Hey! Irondale players & parents!

This is just a pre-reminder about the summer parades!  It's a great way to show your support for IYHA!  The kids have a GREAT time and it's SO MUCH FUN!  KIDS OF ALL AGES/LEVELS ARE INVITED!  Please come walk a parade this summer (or all 3)!  I need lots of kids to throw candy & hand out fliers while we "Rock Out" at the parade. The bigger, brighter & bolder we are, the better!  This is how we advertise our love of hockey and get MORE PLAYERS!

Parade Information:

St. Anthony Village Fest -  Friday, July 31 @ 7 pm

New Brighton Stock Yard days -  Thursday, Aug. 6 @ tbd

Mounds View Festival in the Park -  Saturday, Aug 22 @ 1 pm 

More information to follow mid-July through August. Please be on the look out!

Also, I will need a few more parents to chaperone these events! Especially if you have younger players! THANKS!

Please support your association and your hard working parade coordinator!

WHAT TIME IS IT??......... KNIGHT TIME!!!!!

IYHA Board Meetings are open meetings.

Please feel free to come to the meetings.  If you have an agenda item for the Board to consider, please contact the IYHA Secretary at iyhasecretary@gmail.com.  Board meetings are held the third Thursday of every month at 6:30 p.m. at the New Brighton Family Service Center.  Upcoming meetings will be held:  June 18, July 16 and August 20.

 

Lake Region Board Meetings:

Lake Region Hockey meetings are open meetings. Contact Theresa Spiering for dates and times of upcoming meetings.

Sponsorships:

Sponsors for IYHA and teams are listed below.  Please notify the IYHA Secretary of any additions or corrections.  (Please forward information about websites and addresses, etc.)  Many thanks to our sponsors!

IYHA: **Lake Region Hockey Association**, **Moes**, **Champps**, **Meisters**, **Big 10 Tavern**, **Make It Big Photos** and

**Dave’s Sport Shop**.

Team Sponsorships:

Girls:

Boys:

Bantam A:  **Response Fire Protection**, **WW Goetsch Assoc**, and **MN Conway Fire**

Pee Wee B:  **Jensen, Bell, Converse and Erickson, PA**, **Western Bank** and **Dr John Hollerud, MD of Fridley Children’s and Teen’s Medical Center**

Squirt:  

Mite:  

Once again, many, many thanks to our sponsors! Please support them!

When you see them, please tell them you are from Irondale Youth Hockey.  

                Irondale Youth Hockey Association (IYHA) Board Members 2008- 

President         

 

Kevin Bourassa

(2009-2011)

763-442-0435 (c)

kevinbours@msn.com

Vice President

Monica Crandall

(2008-2010)

763-234-9316 (c)

mcrandall@cdirad.com  

Treasurer

Theresa Spiering

(2008-2010)

763-780-4548 (h)

651-324-9181(c)

tspiering@schwing.com

Secretary

Brent Eilefson

(2009--2011)

612-750-6428 (c)

651-636-3690 (h)

iyhasecretary@gmail.com

 

Ice Commissioner

Kara Chamberlain

(2007-2010)

763-786-1978 (H)

763-639-0847 (C)

Erikara2@hotmail.com

Boys Program Coordinator

Open

(2008-2011)

 

 

Girls Program Coordinator

Mike Nundahl

(2008-2011)

651-633-8287 (h)

nunda99@aol.com

Initiation Coordinator

Nina Dojan

(2009-2012)

 

ninadojan@mac.com

Equipment

Tom Johnson

(2007-2010)

651-636-7684

amtechtom@qwest.net

Registration

Beth Soberg

(2009-2012)

612-201-4861 (c)

Hockeyii2000@yahoo.com

District Representative

 

Chris Drews

 (2007-2010)

651-329-3124 (c)

irondalerep@gmail.com

Non-Board Positions:

ACE Coordinator

Open

(2008-2009)

 

 


Irondale Youth Hockey Association May Meeting Minutes

NOTE:  THE IYHA BOARD MEETING MINUTES WILL BE POSTED ON THE IYHA WEBSITE WHEN APPROVED.

IYHA Board of Directors Meeting:  May 21, 2009.  Note: These minutes have not been approved. They will be reviewed, corrected as needed, and approved at the next regular Board of Directors Meeting.

Called to order at 6:35 p.m. by President Kevin Bourassa

Board Members Present:  Monica Crandall, Brent Eilefson, Theresa Spiering, Chris Drews, Mike Nundahl, Kara Chamberlain, Nina Dojan, Beth Soberg

Board Members Absent:   Tom Johnson

Guests: Steve Clark, Rick Laporte, Rhonda McConnell, Cindy Anderson, Torri Johnson, Pat Schumer

Minutes:  The minutes of the last meeting were read and approved.               

Board Roundtable:

President:  President read Mark Rupp’s resignation letter. 

Brent Eilefson moved to accept Mark Rupp’s resignation.  Motion adopted without debate. 

President report:  Very busy month.  Met with coaches, Mounds View athletic director, Little Falls hockey association president, attended fundraising committee meeting, PCD committee meeting, met with a number of director of PCD candidates; attended district 1 presidents’ meeting.  Very excited about the future of IYHA and the people we have in the association.

Vice President:  Thanksgiving Tournament committee is kicking into gear--need information from Kara C. for July edition of Lets Play Hockey

Secretary:  Brent E. presented thoughts about making newsletter more robust.  Also, will work on getting coaching survey results to appropriate people for development purposes.

Treasurer:  Report submitted.  I had one volunteer check bounce--I will work on getting that collected-I would like to assume that this will be collected and use this money in the calculations as if it never bounced so we can include it on the final bill; I had one calendar check bounce, I would like to just forget about this check and write it off with the rest of the calendar losses which would net out to be a total loss of $215.00 for the calendar fiasco; In reconciling the team accounts (which has never been done in the past) I have found another bounced check for ice time and I will work at getting this collected along with the other money this same family owes; All the team account reconciliations should be complete and refund checks should be cut before the June meeting; I know that originally, I was planning to return all volunteer checks to the treasurers so they can send them back with their refund checks--I know there has been some discussion of just letting everyone know that I would just shred them--Please talk about this at the meeting if needed and let me know the final decision--It doesn’t matter to me, I just need to make sure to get the treasurers the checks if they need to be sent back out; Last month (after our board meeting) I had received another check from the Lake Region for ice time--I thought I had held out the last bill to the Super Rink but I actually had already paid it--so basically, we will have around $6000.00 from Lake Region to start out for next season--I believe this is the same amount that we started out with this year.

Boys Program Coordinator:  Vacant position. 

Girls Program Coordinator:  Reported on quiet spring--spring season complete.  Recruitment night, picked up some names.  Rich nominated for an award [see newsletter announcement].

Initiation Program Coordinator:  Report presented.

District Representative:  Report presented.  Attended district meeting, discussed coop of Richfield, SW, SLP and Washburn into one team.  Mickus objects, unless SLP is out of the mix.  Minnesota Tier one and two is still being discussed, as well as recreational hockey league.  Rec league would be cheap with little time commitment—potential problem for IYHA.  IYHA would have to administrate the rec league.

Ice Commissioner:  Report presented.  Desire to put together an ice group to go out and get ice.  Meeting soon with MV to divvy up Ramsey County ice.  Mark Hentges/Gabler/Cheryl Mason have been helping out.  Blaine contract changes may result in more ice for us to potentially obtain at SR. 

Registration Coordinator:  Report presented.  Need information to begin preparing for the registration process.  Before July need number of teams at each level, information about online registration, warm-ups and tryouts dates and times, what will registration cost be?  Late fee?  How about sign-ups at local schools?  

Equipment Manager:  No report presented.

Standing Reports:

Player and Coach Development Committee:  Chris Drews reported regarding need to order HEP material through D1.

Lake Region:  No report.

Fundraising Committee:  1) Rhonda McConnell voted onto fundraising committee to replace Tami Felling, introduced to Board.

2) Fundraising Cookbook Update presented by Cindy Anderson.  263 recipes collected, printer identified with best prices.  Board approval requested to proceed with $4/book, 300 books, $10 lowest selling cost.  Combine with recruitment effort at parades, per Steve Clark.  Stockyard days, St. Anthony, Shoreview Festival in the Park. 

 Beth Soberg moved for board approval to proceed with cookbook proposal not to exceed $1500 commitment.  The motion was adopted after debate.

3) Rhonda McConnell reported on Pancake Breakfast / A Knights Trail 5K Run / Equipment Swap – update and request to proceed.  Event will take place on September 26 at Mermaid.  Course has been established, will need volunteers.

 Monica Crandall moved for board approval to proceed with Knight’s Trail 5k run, pancake breakfast and equipment swap.  Motion adopted after debate. 

4)  Monica Crandall reported on Stamping Up fundraising opportunity with all profits to go to IYHA.  Board previously approved this.  Monica will work on this. 

Potential Partnership Committee:  Exploring various options.  Roseville not interested in discussions.  MV would be interested in discussing combo at initiation level and on girls side only.  No word from Como, Johnson, or Edison.  Chris D. stated that Como expressed interest in cooping at certain levels, and Como/Johnson/Irondale at other levels.

Website Update:  No report provided. 

New Business:

1) President reported on search for Director of Player and Coach Development.  Apologized for not having a selection in hand tonight, but this is a crucial decision.  Very excited about the opportunity, and has had lots of interviews with great people.  Have a couple of people interested, with more interviews planned.  Is this a paid position?  Feeling is that we need to come up with a stipend.  Do we still need to hire a clinician?  Important to have PCD and BC on same page.  Fully intend to have position filled prior to June Board meeting. 

2)  Girls Coordinator:  girls tryout process presented.  Mike will send to Torri for posting on website.

3)  Kara would like IYHA to spend $425 for software training re:  ice scheduling. 

Kara Chamberlain moved for Board approval to spend $425 for the Ice Commissioner to go to training on Max Solutions immediately.  Motion adopted after debate.

4)  Volunteer check return or destruction was discussed.

 Brent Eilefson moved for Board approval to send email and web post that volunteer checks will be securely destroyed unless Treasurer is contacted for physical check return, members will be given 2 weeks from posting on web site to claim their physical check if desired.  Motion passed after debate (Chris D. opposed).

5)  Discussion around Fundraising Committee merit.  Discussion around handling of fundraising ideas. 

6)  Steve Clark presented idea to work with Cindy Anderson to do radar shot and cookbooks at same parades

Chris Drews moved for Board approval for Steve Clark to set up booth with Cindy Anderson to do radar shot and sell cookbooks at 3 local festivals.  Motion passed after debate.

The meeting adjourned at 9:38 p.m.