Promoting youth hockey in New Brighton, MoundsView, St.Anthony and Shoreview MN
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 

 Irondale Youth Hockey Association Board Meeting Minutes

  
IYHA Board of Directors Meeting:  May 20, 2010       
 
Meeting called to order at 6:41 pm by Vice President Chris Drews
 
Board Members Present:  Chris Drews, Brent Eilefson, Steve Krahn, Beth Soberg, Kara Chamberlain, Rick LaPorte, Cyndi Olson
 
Board Members Absent:  Kevin Bourassa, Dan Marcouiller, Mike Nundahl,
 
Guests:  Torri Johnson 
 
Minutes:  The minutes of the last Board meeting were read. 
 
          Beth Soberg movedto approve April meeting minutes as read.    Rick LaPorte second.  Passed without debate.   
 
Board Roundtable:
 
President:   No real report other than anticipate internal meeting to discuss Lake Region tournament split proposal from Mounds View.
 
Vice President:  Mounds View wants to split tournaments.  Need more information from IYHA tournament directors.  Assume that we would lose 8 teams from the November tourney, and otherwise compete with the January tourney.  Fundraising, the FRC should consider an opt-out, allow parents to pay to not participate in a particular fundraising event.
 
Secretary:  No report.
 
Treasurer:  Met with Theresa last evening.  Balance sheet and income statement being worked on.  Computer and books will follow before June board meeting.    
 
Boys Program Coordinator:  Absent no report.
 
Girls Program Coordinator:  Absent no report.
 
Initiation Program Coordinator:  Absent no report.
 
District Representative:  Attended D10 presidents meeting, all good.  Happy to see us.  Won’t need to provide ice for district tournament.  Prefer to stay away from SuperRink due to cost.  D1 meeting, amendment passed to D1 constitution to allow associations to be “bought out”.  We will get roughly $3k, pending IRS blessing.  We are paid up with D1.  Need team level declarations to D10 by 9/15.
 
Ice Commissioner:  Warmups and tryouts scheduled.  October 25-29 (boys tryouts), October 4 (warmups start);  2 goalie-only warmups; girls start 9/12.           
 
Registration Coordinator:  Big question is around registration fee.  Do we include a “late fee” or graduated sign-up tiers?  Do we need registration to open prior to parades?  Stepped-up fee is necessary to ensure that we get people registered early in order to make level assessments.
 
                Beth Soberg moved to approve same registration fees (with separate tryout fee if applicable) as last season, with increased fees of $50 as of September 10, increased fees not applicable to initiation program and U8s.  Rick LaPorte second.  Motion passed without debate.       
               
Equipment Manager:  Has key to equipment locker.  Cleaned up equipment room with Tom.  Sock orders in process. 
 
Standing Reports:
 
Player and Coach Development Committee:  No report.
 
LakeRegion:  Three scholarships awarded—Tom Welty received one.  Congrats!
 
Fundraising Committee:   Bob Gabler report (via Secretary):  Looking to focus on two big fundraising efforts:  5k run and Diamond Discount program.  FRC to present plan at June meeting.  Bob please call Chris Drews.  Picture contract is up—Chris Drews likes Nake It Big packages and the fact that MIB donates money to the association.  Photos should go on next month’s agenda.
 
Potential Partnership Committee:  Dormant.
 
Website Update:   Ginny LaPorte and Dave Cheney.  Report, via Rick LaPorte.  Welcome to new coordinators.  Have met with Torri, who has been great (as usual).  Need schedules for fall ice, parades, free skates.  Coaching information form is available online, please use this to submit interest in coaching.  Survey will close May 31.  Survey results to Secretary and get results to coordinators, then post on website.  5K fundraiser info needs to get posted.  Need stronger position during registration regarding no tryout unless player is paid current.  Next month agenda item—unpaid persons and tryout this year.     
 
New Business:  
 
 

  1. Passing of website torch—contact info stays the same (other than Torri’s cell phone).  Torri to update website with the passing of the torch. 
  2. Tournament covered per Vice President report, more info to follow at next board meeting.
  3. Volunteering at U8 and lower levels not taken seriously.  Need a better way to communicate volunteer opportunities to younger levels.  Need to assess volunteer policy to better balance all the opportunities out there.  Do we refund checks if opportunities did not exist?  Need a volunteer volunteer coordinator.
           Rick LaPorte movedthat $200 be credited to Steve Krahn’s registration this coming year.  Kara Chamberlain second.  Steve Krahn abstained.  Passed following debate. 
 
       d.     Helmet color tabled.
 
          Rick LaPorte movedto adjourn at 8:09 pm.    Beth Soberg second.  Meeting adjourned.
 
NEXT BOARD MEETING:  Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:30PM AT NEW BRIGHTON FAMILY SERVICE CENTER