From the President:
We are now entering into the playoff season. Good luck to the Boys and 12U Girls, who will be starting their playoffs this month! Keep working hard as the season is finishing, and have fun!
Congratulations to Renae Oleson who is our new Ice Commissioner. Thank you for stepping up and agreeing to do this very important volunteer position!
There have been several Association members that have expressed interest in looking at an Irondale rink. There has been information received about rinks being for sale and possible expansions of other rinks. We need to have a thoughtful process to be able to review all of the options. To this end, the Board of Directors has voted to form a Rink Advisory Task Force. If you are interested in participating in this Task Force, contact Brad DeKanick.
Brad DeKanick, President IYHA
IYHA is in the midst of another great season! Just a couple of things.
1. Many youth hockey associations are providing gear to first year skaters for loan or a nominal fee for their first season. This is a great way to help overcome the notion that hockey is an expensive sport. I think it would be great if IYHA could begin such a program.
So, please consider donating any and all equipment that your children have outgrown or no longer use. I have some breezers, several pairs of skates, elbow pads, and sticks that will start it out. Please contact me for the donations.
Over the summer, we will work out the details for the equipment program. We can get the word out when we rollerblade in the summer parades. Hopefully, we can increase our numbers in the Initiation program by helping some deserving first year skaters! Thanks for the donations and I welcome your input on this equipment program.
2. Back during the fall, the Mini-Mites had their first practice at Fogerty Arena. A few Board members showed up to help and I was fortunate to be among them. Here it all comes together: nervous parents, volunteer coaches, and eager children! Remember how excited these children are to get on the ice? Remember how surprised they are when they first step on? Remember how they fall and the coaches are there to help them?
At this first session -after about 20 minutes or so- one child came off the ice unsure of it all. An IYHA volunteer coach saw this child, skated off, and knelt down to talk. After quietly reassuring both child and parent, the coach and child returned to the ice.
To the coach, thanks for your observation, action, and coaching (in the truest sense).
To our Association, perhaps now this Mini-Mite is a hockey player.
We are about youth and hockey!
Brian Johnson, Vice President, IYHA
News Flash from the Girls Program! From Chris Tahti, Girls Program Coordinator
We are looking ahead to the next season. I will be announcing an all parent meeting in the near future. Watch for information on your emails! If you have a girl in the IYHA Girls Program, or have a daughter that might be interested in the program, you won’t want to miss this meeting!
There is a lot of energy around the program, and in recruiting new girls! So come one and all and join in the excitement of the Girls Program!
From the SKATE Coordinator--Tom Welty –
IYHA night at the St. Anthony Culvers!
Monday, February 7th from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.
10% of sales from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. will be donated to the IYHA S.K.A.T.E Program.
Let’s fill the place wall to wall with the IYHA Maroon and Gold!
Information about S.K.A.T.E. has been emailed to the team managers. Make sure you contact your team manager or Tom Welty if you have any questions. Let’s support this program and show how well our SKATERS are doing with their academics!
All IYHA Board Meetings are open meetings.
Please feel free to come to the meetings, which are held at the Mounds View City Hall in Conference Room C. Also, if you wish to have a copy of any information which is distributed at the meeting, please email or call Niki and it will be mailed to you. Upcoming dates for2005 Board meetings are the third Thursday of every month at 6:30 p.m.
February 17, March 17, April 21 (Annual meeting and Elections meeting—location may change for more space.)
May 19, June 16, July 21, August 18, September 15, October 20, November 17, December 15.
Note: If you wish to be on the agenda for the meeting, please contact the President, Brad DeKanick.
There have been several teams that have sponsors for their teams. These are listed below. This part of the newsletter will continue throughout the rest of the IYHA season. Please notify Niki Gjere of any additions or corrections. (Please forward information about websites and addresses, etc.) Many thanks to our sponsors!
**Champp’s New Brighton**
**Culvers of St. Anthony”
**New Brighton Sportsmen’s Club**
Pee Wee B
**Quality Post Service**
**W.W. Goetsch Associates**
**Response Fire Protection Company**
Once again, many, many thanks to our sponsors! Please support them! When you see them, please tell them you are from Irondale Youth Hockey.
There have been several people that have submitted their names for board positions. Contact me (Randy Bortot) if you are interested in running for a position. The information about each candidate will be published in the newsletters in March and April. The Election and Annual meeting is in April.
The positions that are open are President, Secretary, Boys Program Coordinator, and Girls Program Coordinator.
Randy Bortot, Nominations Committee Chair, IYHA.
The Board of the Lake Region Hockey Association meets on the third Tuesday of every month at various locations. If you are interested in attending the next meeting, please call Gayle Goben at 651-638-9756.
Irondale Youth Hockey Association Board Meeting Minutes: Meeting minutes have not been approved. They will be reviewed, revised as needed, and approved at the next Board of Directors meeting.
IYHA Board of Directors meeting
January 20, 2005 at 7:00 p.m. at Mounds View City Hall
Present: Brad DeKanick, Jeanne Falconer, Randy Bortot, Brian Johnson, Niki Gjere, Tom Welty, Cheryl Mason, Chris Tahti, Pat O’Connor.
Absent: Dan Marcouiller.
Guests: John Donovan, John Dalnes, Pete Franzen, Renae Oleson.
Meeting called to order by President Brad DeKanick at 6:00 p.m. at the Mounds View City Hall Conference Room C.
Agenda reviewed. Minutes for December 15, 2005 meeting reviewed, motion to approve as presented (TW) (RB), motion carried.
1. Ice Commissioner Resignation: Resignation letter from Becky Ewing (Ice Commissioner) read for the record. Effective January 11, 2005. Accepted as presented.
2. Ice Issues: Jeanne needs the master list so she can bill the teams. Has requested this, and has not received. Brad gave Jeanne his copy of the ice schedules. Initiation ice given by Cheryl to Brad.
3. Ice Commissioner Appointment: Renae Oleson is interested in the Ice Commissioner position. She presented a document expressing her interest. Motion to appoint Renae Oleson as the Ice Commissioner to fill the remainder of the term (NG), (TW), Motion carried.
4. Super Rink discussion (Brad): Received email in December, and heard again last week—the Super Rink is expanding an additional 2 or 4 rinks—practice rinks. No seating. They will be in-line in the summer, other two may be soccer. Us, Centenniel, and Forest Lake have expressed an interest. Has a PowerPoint presentation to understand the 2080 hours issues that we have had in the past. Will ask for this presentation in either February or March. There are people that are interested in looking at these issues—will ask for people to volunteer to participate in some type of a search committee. Motion to create a Rink Advisory Task Force committee (CM), (JF); Discussion. Motion carried. Contact a Board Member if interested.
New Business—Board Roundtable:
1. President: Brad DeKanick. Distributed a certificate for our players. Give feedback to Brad for changes/edits. Pat will give list to Brad of the teams. Brad would like to outfit the traveling team players next year with top and pants—check in what it would cost—will Randy do this? (Randy agreed.)
2. Vice President: Brian Johnson. Brian was gone for many of the meetings; would like to thank Dawn for the work she did. Equipment exchange—has equipment available, will donate it. Pete Franzen knows of other associations that give a tax credit for donated equipment.
3. Treasurer: Jeanne Falconer. Checking and savings account statements. In the future, if people have not paid registration, they cannot be on the ice.
4. Lake Region Hockey Association: Jeanne Falconer. Distributed Lake Region by-laws. John Dalnes and Rick McKelvie have agreed to fill the two remaining spots for Lake Region. Hoping to get more money in March. Have been receiving $5,000 each month.
5. Secretary: Niki Gjere. Newsletter deadline is February 1, 2005. We have a new copy of our Tax Exempt status—the other one was tattered.
6. Registration Coordinator: Pat O’Connor. Everything is good.
7. Twin Cities District: Tom Welty. The bulk of update is in the newsletter. The Board asked us to know that Augsburg has had thefts—people have had their things stolen, going through hockey bags. There was even a vehicle stolen. February 7th—having a Culver’s night in St. Anthony. 10% of proceeds are being donated to IYHA.
8. Ice Commissioner: no report.
9. Initiation Coordinator: Cheryl Mason. Things are calmed down at Initiation. Every kid is a skater!
10. Girls Coordinator: Chris Tahti. Had a planning meeting with the Girls coaches and Cheryl, looking ahead to next year. Preliminarily for next year: 5 U 14 girls (4 which may play HS), 2 U12 teams, very large U10 team (will try to recruit to make 2 U10 teams), will try to make a U8 team. Action from the board is not requested tonight. Associations that have gone with this have been very happy with this—they have seen tremendous new growth. Will continue to talk with the coaches. Will be talking with the parents.
11. Boys Coordinator: Dan Marcouiller. Absent. No report.
12. Equipment Manager: Randy Bortot. Hockey association bag email—not going to worry about it now. 100 bag minimum required.
13. Nomination Committee: Randy Bortot. Interest has been expressed in Boy’s Coordinator position.
Additional business: From the ACE Coordinator (John Donovan): Final HEP Testing dates have been scheduled.
Motion to adjourn the meeting (NG) (TW), motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:15 p.m.