Financial Aid / Scholarship Program Guidelines and Policies
Purpose: The Sno-King Jr. Thunderbird Scholarship program exists to help reduce the financial strain of the costs of participation in the sport of hockey. Scholarships are available to families with demonstrated financial need and are based on the availability of funds. Scholarship awards are applied to program fees and are not available to meet the additional individual team expenses.
Funding: The funds for the scholarship program come from scholarship donations as well as from other donations specifically earmarked for the scholarship effort.
Player Eligibility: A family is eligible if the player(s) satisfies the following criteria:
- submits a scholarship application,
- is between the ages of 6 and 18,
- has applied, or is in process of applying, with the Sno-King Amateur Hockey Program,
- is a member of U.S.A. Hockey,
- submits all required paperwork and documentation, and
- all prior fees are paid in full or a payment plan is in place and current.
Award Criteria: The Scholarship Committee will make awards based on demonstrated need considering the following specific criterion:
- unusual or short term financial circumstances, and
- number of children playing for SKAHA.
Other factors taken into consideration may include:
- duration of SKAHA participation,
- fundraising efforts,
- volunteer contribution to the organization, and/or
- payment history with SKAHA.
Deadline: Scholarship requests can be submitted any any time, though we encourage families to apply before the season starts, or as early as possible thereafter. Award notifications will be made at the beginning of each month, starting with August. Applications received during the season will be considered based on need and availability of funds.
Scholarship Committee: The SKAHA Board of Directors will appoint members to serve on the Scholarship Committee. Committee members may include board members, staff, or association members. The Scholarship Committee shall review scholarship applications and submit an award recommendation to the Board of Directors for approval.
Note: Only players with paid up accounts will be considered for awards. Any scholarship recipients who opt to leave Sno-King for another hockey association must pay back the full amount of their scholarship awards before changing leagues.
If you have questions, please address them to the SKAHA Administrative Office (email@example.com).
Click here to download the Scholarship Form