WPAL YOUTH RUGBY NEWS
Until the weather warms up a bit, we will shorten practices to one hour from 5-6pm.
Please be sure that your child is dressed warmly in sweatshirts and pants. They will also need cleats and a mouth guard
Those that have not yet registered but would like your child to try the game of rugby, please bring them to practice,
meet the coach and enjoy learning a great game. We welcome all questions and can register your child afterward.
We look forward to seeing you at Staples High school field and to sharing a fun and successful season
• Due to safe tackling procedures, rugby is a safe sport, fun and the ultimate in team experience
• Kids grade 4 and below will play rookie rugby which is non-contact and continuous motion
• Rugby teaches respect and good sportsmanship
• Our youth head coach, David Lyme is also Staples High school Rugby Head Coach,
which now has four teams, more than any other sport!
• Join the youth rugby program and be a part of growing rugby in Westport from the ground up- Register Here
Additional Registration Information
• USA Rugby: After signing up, parents will need to register their children with USA Rugby (CIPP fees for insurance),
the governing body of rugby in the USA. This is $25 for the U12/U14 children ("Youth Player"),
and $5 for the U10s and below ("Rookie Rugby"). Register under the Westport PAL Rugby club
• Safety: Headgear ("Scrum caps") and mouth guards will be compulsory for all players.
You can see examples of scrum caps on Amazon if you search for "Rugby Head Gear" or "Rugby Scrum Caps" and
the brands are Barnett, Elite Tek, Cantebury amongst others
All you have to do is PICK UP THE BALL AND RUN WITH IT!