Frequently Asked Questions for the SLA Girls Program
1. When will my daughter practice during the week?
- SLA relies on volunteer coaches who schedule practices around their schedule. In the pre-season, and before all coaches have been identified, it is difficult to predict when practices will occur during the week. However, for planning purposes the girls team will practice two to three times a week from Monday to Saturday. I recommend to coaches that they begin practices at 5:30 pm. The local recreation teams will only practice or an hour and our league team coaches have the opportunity to practice up to 1.5 hours.
2. Where will my daughter's team practice?
- SLA does not have a home practice facility. We are currently working with the county to become a "user group". This status will make us the recreation lacrosse provider for Stafford County, and open some opportunities for our local recreation teams to practice on state of the art facilities centrally located in the county. Until then, every attempt will be made to have practices that are centrally located and within the same general area as the boys program.
3. Do I have to purchase a uniform?
- Yes. This year we changed our uniform purchase model. Our new uniforms are modern, completely redesigned, and you can use them from year to year. When you register, you will receive a confirmation email with instruction on how to purchase your uniform from Powell Lacrosse.
- For 2018 only, SLA will buy back 8th graders' uniforms at a discounted price in June. SLA will buy the entire kit (skort and jersey) for $31 and $13 for the jersey
4. How will my daughter be evaluated for placement on a team?
- All coaches will use the same evaluation criteria. When your daughter arrives for assessment of Feb 10, she will be assigned a pinnie with a number. The following table are the criteria of how each athlete is evaluated.
|Rt Hand Cradle
||Left Hand Cradle
||Passing and Catching
These are NOT tryouts. Coaches assess skill level to ensure the athlete is placed on a team comensurate with the athletes skill.
5. What equipment does my daughter need?
- Your daughter will need a girls or womens' lacrosse stick, a colored mouthguard, and U.S. Lacrosse approved eyewear.
- Dick's Sporting Goods is one of our sponors. SLA will be at the Dick's in the Spotsylvania Towne Center on February 3, 2018 from 11am to 4pm. All registered athletes and potential athletes will receive 20% discount on all lacrosse equipment. Look for the SLA tent.
- If you are new to the sport and have questions on stick, mouthguards, and approved eyewear feel free to email me at email@example.com or come see us on the SLA appriciation day at Dick's on February 3, 2018.
6. Lacrosse is expensive. Does SLA offer scholarships?
- Our mission is to make the sport accessible to all Stafford County Youth. Please contact the commissioners at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a desire to participate but lack the resources.
7. I live in Spotsylvania County. Can my daughter play for SLA?
- It depends. Since the Spotsylvania County Lacrosse Club and SLA are members of the Northern Virginia Youth Lacrosse League, both clubs have to abide by the leagues operating rules. We have an outstanding relationship with the SCLC, and I will discuss each situation with the SCLC girls' commisioner.