Umpires abide the rules set out by the WMBA. Anything not covered by the WMBA is covered by the Baseball Ontario and Baseball Canada rulebook.
Baseball Ontario offers the following umpiring workshop documents for Roookieball umpiring. Please feel free to take advantage of these great free resources:
Umpire's Workbook: Training for Rookieball Umpires
Instructor's Guide: A Tool for Affiliate Umpire Training
From Baseball Ontario's website:
Lightning: Please remember, the baseball season is a prime time for thunder storms, so be aware of lightning and remember the 30-30 Rule.
1 through 4 of the following are the responsibility of the home team coach:
- The home team coach is responsible for contacting the
by phone when a decision has been to cancel the game. (905) 630-9625. The decision should be made a minimum of 2 hours before the game starts
- The home team coach is also responsible for contacting the opposing team coach and advising them of the decision to cancel the game.
- Within 48 hours of the game cancellation, the home coach must notify the scheduler of the cancellation by completing the game schedule request form. Failure to do so may result in a loss of City rental fees for the WMBA.
- The home team coach is responsible to contact the opposing team coach to reschedule the game.
- The Home team is responsible to attend the park and pull up and put away bases that have been set for the game.
- Each team coach contacts their players to advise them of the cancellation.
Once the game has started, the decision to call a game due to weather is in the hands of the umpire.