updated as of November 22, 2018
ALL COACHES MUST DO THE FOLLOWING AFTER SEPTEMBER 1, 2018
- initiate a background check on their own using the USA website
- take the USA online video on safe sport coaching
- upon instructions by DYS or the head coach, obtain a USA coach card after completing the background check
- DYS reimburses background checks that are successfully completed
- DYS reimburses coach cards for the two assistant coaches designated by the head coach
Background investigations and certifications
All adults that want to coach are required to obtain a certificate or email notification that shows a successful completion of the background evaluation, and shall come from the private process identified on the USA Wrestling website.
The renewal period begins September 1st of each year regardless of the date of purchase for either the background check or coach card. However, the background check is good for two years ending August 31st of the subsequent year. And, the coach card may be purchased for a one year or a two year period also ending on August 31st. Some coach cards may be purchased for a two year period, however, DYS only reimburses the active winter season period on a selective basis per DYS commissioner and the head coach.
Instructions and purchases may be made as follows: