Varsity and Junior Varsity Divisions
July 13-15, 2018
The American Legion National Rule Book, the Department of Alabama State Rule Book, both found on their respective websites, are the basis for all rules for this tournament. Some rules are emphasized and others are adapted for this tournament. The Alabama American Legion Varsity and Junior Varsity tournament is not part of the National American Legion tournament program.
1. All coaches will bring team registration documents to the tournament; rosters, forms 2, and proof of age (driver’s license, government issued ID, or original certified copy of birth certificate). They documents must be readily available for a tournament official to inspect and review.
2. DH - A hitter may be designated for any one starting player, not just pitchers, and all subsequent substitutes for that player in the game. A starting defensive player cannot be listed as the designated hitter in the starting lineup. A designated hitter for said player shall be selected prior to the start of the game, and his name shall be included on the lineup card presented to the umpire chief and to the official scorer. Failure to declare a designated hitter prior to the game precludes the use of a designated hitter in the game. If a pinch hitter or pinch runner is used for the DH, that player becomes the designated hitter and are locked into that spot in the batting order. No multiple changes will be made that will alter the batting order.
3. Courtesy runner - Teams have the option to use a courtesy runner for the catcher and/or the pitcher. The courtesy runner will be an eligible substitute player. If a team has only 9 players then no courtesy runner is allowed. A team may not use the same courtesy runner for the pitcher and catcher in the same inning. The courtesy runner may not be removed from base to be used as a pinch runner. A player removed from the game may not be used as a courtesy runner. Should the courtesy runner pinch hit, pinch run, or enter the game at any position, he will no longer be eligible to be courtesy runner. A player who violates the courtesy runner rule will be considered an illegal substitute.
4. The tournament is planned to be two pool play games for seeding into a single elimination tournament. All teams will be slotted into single elimination bracket. The lower seeded teams could play three games in one day.
A. All games will be 7 innings or two hours unless shortened due to run rule or inclement weather.
B. No new inning after 2 hours.
C. Pool play games can end in a tie.
D. Single elimination games must have a winner. If the score is tied and the game has reached two hours, before the seventh inning, then the next inning is considered “extra inning”. The first “extra inning” will start with the last batter from the previous inning as a runner at second base. All subsequent extra innings will start with the last batter as a runner on third base.
5. Everyone in the dugout must be in appropriate uniform. See national rule book for proper uniform. Players and coaches will wear uniforms in an appropriate manner at all times,( i.e., shirt tails in at all times, and hats worn properly). Only the players legally rostered for that team will be in the dugout. Scorekeepers, and medical staff do not have to wear uniforms and they may sit in the dugout, however they need to stay in the dugout.
6. All base coaches will wear protective headgear, such as batting helmets or catcher’s skull caps per National rules.
7. All participants will have the official American Legion Baseball shoulder patch on their left sleeve or left chest of the jersey. Participants who do not have a patch will be removed from the game until this is corrected, then they may re-enter the game. Patches should be ordered from American Legion Emblem Sales. They have a link: http://emblem.legion.org/Official-Player-Sleeve-Patch/productinfo/720.420/
8. Player Re-entry. Any of the starting players may be withdrawn and reenter once, including the designated hitter, provided such player occupies the same batting position whenever he is in the lineup. A substitute who is withdrawn may NOT re-enter the game.
9. The American Legion pitching rules are in effect.
10. Ejections. Any player or coach ejected from a game for any reason will sit out the remainder of that game, and the next game his team is scheduled to play. At that time he may ask the commissioner on site to be reinstated in the tournament. Reinstatement will be considered by the commissioners based on the severity of the infraction.
11. Lineup Cards. Teams will provide their own lineup cards. Cards will be completed in at least 3 copies, with first name, last name, position, and jersey number for all players, including subs. One copy to umpire, press box, and opposing team. Home and visiting team will be determined by a coin toss. Coaches should accomplish this prior to turning in their lineup cards.
12. Game balls are provided by the Alabama State Department Board of Directors. Each team is required to assist in the return of foul baseballs to the umpires.
13. Admission. A day pass is $10. Children 12 and under are free. Players and coaches have free entrance while in uniform. American Legion members, active and reserve military members and retired military personnel get in free with valid ID card.
14. Concessions: Provided at each location. NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINKS ARE ALLOWED IN THE STADIUM. NO COOLERS ALLOWED, EXCEPT TEAM COOLERS.
15. Dugouts. Teams WILL clean up their dugout after each game.
16. Protests. The only protests allowed are protests based on rules interpretation, and player eligibility/fraud. Protests may be submitted, in writing, to the commissioner on site prior to the end of the game in question. All player eligibility protests must be submitted before 8:00am on 13 July 2018. Decisions of the commissioners are final.
17. Good sportsmanship is expected in all games. Each team will play the games that are scheduled. If a team withdraws then a $150 penalty will be assessed to the Post. A team manager will be suspended for poor sportsmanship.
American Legion Baseball
CODE OF SPORTSMANSHIP
Keep the rules
Keep faith with my teammates
Keep my temper
Keep myself fit
Keep a stout heart in defeat
Keep my pride under in victory
Keep a sound soul, a clean mind, and a healthy body.