|What is Boulder Valley Girls Lacrosse?
- Boulder Valley Girls Lacrosse (BVGL) is a nonprofit, volunteer-based organization dedicated to growing the great sport of lacrosse throughout Boulder County. Our program is a part of the Boulder Valley Lacrosse Association, which also includes a boys' program--see www.boulderlacrosse.org for more details on the boy's program.
- We organize girls' competitive teams for the spring lacrosse season, as well as camps in the summer, and clinics in the fall, and indoor programs in the winter.
Who coaches for BVGL?
My daughter has no experience playing lacrosse. Can she play for BVGL?
- We have a mix of adult coaches and parents who volunteer their time. Almost all of our coaches have high school and college lacrosse playing experience. Our coaches have played at top college programs that have included Loyola, Virginia, Towson, Cornell, Washington & Lee, CU, Ohio State, Bucknell, Colorado College, Indiana U, DU, Shippensburg, Trinity, Johns Hopkins, Tufts, Colgate, Swarthmore, and Delaware.
- We require all of our head coaches to attend the CGLA coaches clinic and participate in the US Lacrosse coaches' certification program.
- BVGL Executive Director and Coach Annie Nicholson grew up playing field hockey and lacrosse in Moorestown, New Jersey. She is a graduate of Loyola University, MD, where she played field hockey and lacrosse for four years. She is a former All-American and member of the US Women's Lacrosse Squad. Before moving to Colorado and joining BVGL in 2009, Annie coached and trained players in grades K-12 in New Jersey. She also coached for South Jersey Select, an elite summer tournament program. She is a US Lacrosse certified Level 2 coach and a member of the NJ Lacrosse Hall of Fame.
- If you are interested in a coaching opportunity with BVGL, please contact Coach Annie Nicholson at
What equipment are players required to have?
- All girls in grades 2nd-8th are welcome to register and participate in the Boulder Valley Girls Lacrosse spring program, regardless of experience. We have knowledgeable coaches who do a fantastic job teaching inexperienced players about the skills, rules, and culture of lacrosse. Teams compete as part of the Colorado Girls Lacrosse Association (CGLA)--see additional details about CGLA at www.cglax.com.
What is the schedule for BVGL / CGLA travel program?
- Girl's lacrosse stick (different than a boy's stick) / We recommend Dick's Sporting Goods. Please be sure to purchase a girl's stick.
- Lacrosse goggles
- Mouth guard (cannot be clear or white; must be a solid color)
- Girl's lacrosse gloves / optional (for warmth and protection & recommended)
- Girls will begin practice the second week of March.
- Games will be held on Saturdays beginning in April. CGLA will release the schedule in late March.
- Teams will play a minimum of six CGLA games.
- Girls will participate in the CGLA Festival in Denver in mid May.
- Girls will also participate in the Rocky Mtn Jamboree in Denver in late May, early June.
How do I know what BVGL team my daughter is on, and when the practices are?
- Coaches will email players prior to the first practice with information about her team and practice schedule.
- Practice schedules will also be posted on the website as soon as they are available.
What are the BVGL registration fees for the spring season?
- Where are BVGL practices and games held?
- All teams practice at Platt MS on M & W, 6-7:30pm.
- Home games will be held at our practice fields.
- Away games are played in the Denver metro area, Ft Collins, Evergreen, and CO Springs.
How are girls' teams formed?
- For the spring season, the fee is $300 (PLUS a required $25 USLacrosse membership for all players; good for 1 year).
- Fee includes participation in the CGLA, team participation in the CGLA Festival, regular season referee costs, field rental and maintenance, equipment, coaches' fees, and scholarship fund contribution.
- Uniforms ARE NOT INCLUDED in the registration fee. Players may purchase a new uniform (top and bottom) when they register online.
I still have a question - who should I contact?
- Girls will be assigned to a team on the basis of age and experience.
- Girls may be allowed to "play up" a grade level, but are not allowed to "play down" a grade level.
- If a tryout/assessment is necessary to determine two teams, no players will be cut.
- For questions about the BVGL program, please email Annie Nicholson at
What are the high school playing options?
Centaurus Girls Lacrosse (the Warriors) is a unified BVSD district-wide sport. We have had players from Centaurus, Broomfield, Boulder High, Fairview, Monarch, Niwot, Peak to Peak, Holy Family, Dawson, and other area schools participate on the high school team. The program is based at Centaurus High School, where practice and games are on the turf field in the Centaurus Stadium.
We are a spring sport and have two teams: Varsity and JV. Our program is open to experienced and novice players. Even if you have never held a lacrosse stick before, our coaches will teach you to play. Visit the Centaurus Warrior's website: