NEW FAIRFIELD BASEBALL
NFB Baseball is announcing its 2018 Travel Baseball Tryout
"The achievements of an organization are the results of the combined effort of each individual."
NFB 2018 Travel Baseball Information
Travel Baseball Tryouts –
Red Flight and Blue Flight Programs will be held at All Star Batting Cage located at 1120 Federal Rd, Brookfield CT 06804. Registration for the tryouts is up and running - REGISTRATION - Please note that Travel Tryouts will have a $40 registration fee. This fee helps offset the cost of the All Star Batting Cage rental and All Star Batting Cage instructors. I would also like to clarify that the dates and times set below are for both "Blue" and "Red" flight tryouts... you can find more information under the travel section on our website about the two programs -Travel Information- In order to be considered for either team you must be present at one of the two tryouts. It is beneficial for the player to be at both tryouts, as we will use the player’s better evaluation in the process of choosing the two teams. In the tryout every player will be put through basic drills and tests to evaluate their ability in each one of these components - hand eye coordination, arm strength/accuracy, speed, and overall power. For example, one of the tests will be a timed 10-5-10 agility run, giving the coaches an accurate measure of the players’ speed. The selection of the teams will be based on the players’ performance in the tryouts. All players will be giving an evaluation score in each drill/test. Those scores will be totaled giving each player an overall tryout score. The top 12 players per age group will be selected for the “Blue” flight team and the next 12 players will be selected for the “Red” flight team. If there are less then 12 players for the "Red" flight team, the Travel Commissioner will determine and make a decision for what is best for the players involved. As stated in our travel information section… our goal is to have two teams per age group in the 9’s, 10’s, 11’s and 12’s. The 13's and 14's travel program has been modified to meet the needs of our middle school players. This modification will mimic the High School Program. The new program will have three separate seasons (spring season/summer season/fall season), just like the High School Program. Please note that the tryout in March will be for the Spring Season. If a player is on one of the spring middle school teams, he/she will be guaranteed a spot on the summer or fall team. We will also host a 15/16u high school Team that will start after the high School season and continue through the summer.
*** Please note... Implementation of USABat standard begins on January 1, 2018. New Fairfield Baseball must comply with the new bat standard for the 2018 travel tryouts. New Fairfield Baseball will provide several approved bats at the tryouts if you do not have an approved 2018 USABat. For more inforamation on the USABat standards please visit this website https://www.justbats.com/bat-resource-guide/usabat-standard/
Dates and times...
• 9yr old players - Monday March 12th 5:00-6:30 & Thursday March 15th 5:00-6:30
• 10yr old players - Monday March 12th 6:00-7:15 & Thursday March 15th 6:00-7:15 (5:45 check in)
• 11yr old players - Monday March 12th 7:15-8:30 & Thursday March 15th 7:15-8:30 (7:00 check in)
• 12yr old players - Monday March 12th 7:30-9:00 & Thursday March 15th 7:30-9:00
• 13/14u Middle School Team - TBA (NFB will be sending an email out later this week regarding this program)
• 15/16u High School Team will be selected after HS Tryouts are complete (March 22nd)
Important info --
- Travel Baseball Tryouts will be held at All Star Batting Cage located at 1120 Federal Rd, Brookfield CT 06804
- Please try your best to be on time for check in. We need the tryouts to start on time in order to give every player an opportunity for a fair tryout.
- Parents are to check their child in and wait outside the training area. Parents are not allowed in the training area.
- Please make sure to bring all your baseball equipment and come dressed appropriately for baseball.
Mission Statement – The NFB Travel Baseball Program shall provide a quality environment that promotes instruction, advancement, sportsmanship, teamwork and an overall love for the game necessary for a competitive travel baseball program for the youth of our community and beyond.
Goal – NFB Travel Program is committed to the following:
1) “Blue” Flight Program - provide our athletes an environment in which they can improve the skills they will need to play at the high school and college level. They will understand the importance in developing a program that drives to be successful at the high school baseball level in New Fairfield. We will have a team at the 9yr old, 10yr old, 11yr old, 12yr old, 13yr old and/or 14yr old, 15yr old and/or 16u age levels.
2) “Red” Flight Program – provide our athletes an environment in which they can improve the skills they will need to play at the high school and college level while giving the families involved a less demanding schedule. We plan on having teams at the 9yr old, 10yr old, 11yr old and 12yr old age level. The exact number of teams is dependent on the number of travel level players and coaches interested.
Team(s) Selections –
“Blue” & "RED" flight teams are selected after an open tryout, which will be conducted in late February or early March for players’ baseball age 9 to 16. All dates and times will be posted and sent via email to all players. **Note – teams picked during winter tryouts will remain in place for that baseball season (including fall). If a travel player decides not to play fall baseball (i.e. plays another sport in the fall), a separate evaluation (individual or group) will be used to fill any open spots as determined by the travel commissioner for the fall season. The travel commissioner may also expand the roster or merge age groups for fall baseball at their discretion. Tryouts will be organized and run by the Travel Commissioners, and players will be evaluated by impartial, certified coaches of New Fairfield Baseball. There are NO pre-picked positions on these teams including returning players, and the best representative team will be selected on their ability.
The “Blue” flight teams anticipate playing 25-35 games, plus 2 to 3 practices a week. Practices will start after the teams are chosen in early March and run concurrent with "In-House". Please note that all High School age players will join their travel team when the High School seasons concludes (this is a CIAC State Rule and cannot be broken). The “Red” flight teams anticipate playing 14-18 games, plus 1 to 2 practices a week. “Red” flight teams will start toward the end of the In-house season (last week of May).
For players continuing with their team in the Fall, they will be committed to September and October. Anticipate playing 12 to 14 games (weekends only), plus 1 to 2 practices a week (weeknights or weekends).
We plan to incorporate professional training provided by All Star Inc. All teams will benefit from this exposer. The goal is to have these instructors run practices alongside the coaching staff and/or provide multi-team training sessions during the season. This will help promote skill development, knowledge of the game, conditioning, sportsmanship, and teamwork.
Commitment Rules -
All players are expected to exhibit what is called “Championship Behavior”. This means players must display high standards of behavior and exemplify good sportsmanship. Parents and family members of these players must also commit to the same level of high standards of good behavior and attitude during all team activities. The New Fairfield Baseball Board reserves the right to revoke the privilege of any player/person to participate in the New Fairfield Travel Baseball Program, who does not conduct himself/herself in an acceptable manner. Violation of rules will result in discipline. Discipline may include but is not limited to:
The following rules and regulations will apply to all players:
Players must attend and be punctual to all practices and games as scheduled.
Absence from team activities due to medical or family obligations are acceptable when approved in advance by the team’s coach. (**Note – vacations, weekend getaways, etc. Do not fall under family obligations)
Unexcused absences may result in suspension as follows:
Missing one game - suspension from the next game
Missing two consecutive practices - suspension from the next game
Missing practice prior to the day of a game - the player will not start the next contest. Coach reserves the right not to play the child.
Important Information regarding the 12yr old Blue Travel Team -
New Fairfield Baseball offers the 12yr old travel players the opportunity to play in the Cooperstown Dreams Park National Baseball Tournament. The team is comprised of players who make the 11U Blue travel team from the prior year. The reason the team is picked the prior year is to help the team offset the cost of the tournament. They will need to start fundraising 16 months prior to the tournament.
Q & A:
1) If my child does not make the “Blue” flight program may he/she tryout for the “Red” flight program? YES, all players that do not make the “Blue” flight program will be recommended by the league to continue with travel baseball though our “Red” flight program.
2) What league do the programs play in? The “Blue” flight player will represent our town at the district tournament with the hope of them moving on to state and national play (limited to certain age groups by Cal Ripken and Babe Ruth Baseball). They will play in a few tournaments like the Memorial Day Weekend Tournament and the Jimmy Fund Tournament. They will also be committed to a high level league such as the Greater Hudson Valley Baseball "A" or "B" League, New York Elite or the Connecticut Extreme League to name a few. The “Red” flight player will play in a league such as Greater Hudson Valley Baseball "B" or "C" League or the Connecticut Extreme "B" League.
3) Will my child be able to play football come August if he/she is on the “Blue” flight team? YES, but baseball is your first priority. The NF Football Program has made many accommodations for the “Blue” flight player. Football will allow you to make up missed practice time. The “Red” flight player will be done with their season before August 1st, the start of the NF Football program.
4) What is the fee of the two programs? There is a small fee for the tryout (the fee will change from year to year), this fee helps offset the cost of the All Star Batting Cage rental and All Star Batting Cage instructors. The anticipated cost per player is $300 to $350 (9yr-12yr old) for the “Blue” flight program and $200 to $250 (9yr - 12yr old) for the “Red” flight player. The program costs include League and Tourney Fees, Umpire Fees, Baseballs, Equipment, Uniforms, Field Maintenance, and Utilities.
5) What is the playing time rule for the two programs? The “Blue” flight program must realize that equal play is not guaranteed. During regular season league play the coach will do his/her best to give everyone an equal share of playing time. During tournament play the coach will create a line-up that will give the team the best possible chance in winning the game/tournament. The “Red” flight program will have equal playing time and coaches will be committed to this rule. Both programs will hold players accountable for missed games and practices with regards to playing time.
6) What age level is my child eligible for?
· Birth dates from May 1st 2008 to April 30th 2009 are eligible for the 9yr old age level.
· Birth dates from May 1st 2007 to April 30th 2008 are eligible for the 10yr old age level.
· Birth dates from May 1st 2006 to April 30th 2007 are eligible for the 11yr old age level.
· Birth dates from May 1st 2005 to April 30th 2006 are eligible for the 12yr old age level.
· Birth dates from May 1st 2004 to April 30th 2005 are eligible for the 13yr old age level.
· Birth dates from May 1st 2003 to April 30th 2004 are eligible for the 14yr old age level.
· Birth dates from May 1st 2002 to April 30th 2003 are eligible for the 15yr old age level.
· Birth dates from May 1st 2001 to April 30th 2002 are eligible for the 16yr old age level.
7) What is the Cooperstown Dreams Park Tournament? One of the best tournaments for 12u youth baseball players is Cooperstown Dreams Park in Cooperstown, New York. It provides the opportunity for every baseball player (12u) to spend a week living their dream. The tournament is a week long competition, with approximately 100 teams from all over the United States competing against each other. The cost of the tournament is $995 per player/coach (Cooperstown Dreams Park establishes the price and is subject to change year to year). The price includes a skills challenge, 7 games (minimum), uniforms, room and board for the week. This is a great baseball experience for the players, coaches, and the entire family. You can find more information on the tournament at www.cooperstowndreamspark.com