1. Dunking Rule – Dunking is only allowed in high school gyms where they have break-away rims. Hanging on the rim is not allowed. If a dunk is attempted in a non-high school gym, a technical foul will immediately be called, and the basket voided. If anything is damaged, the cost will be charged to the player.
2. Ejection Rule – An ejection will result in a one-game suspension at the recommendation of the referees and discretion of the Commissioner. The suspension will be the next game (playoff or not). Two ejections in a single season will warrant removal of that player for the remainder of the season with no refund.
3.Equipment Rule - All players must wear non-marking basketball sneakers.
4. Fast-break Rule - Run as fast as you can, just don't get hurt!
5. Fill-in Rule – Non-Legends players (those who have not registered or paid themselves) cannot play in any Legends game - this includes substituting for a Legends player who cannot make the game.
6. Foul Shot Rule - Players may come off the line after the release, not the rim.
7. Forfeit Rule – If a team fails to show up for a game without warning the league at least one day in advance, that team may not be scheduled for future games, at the discretion of league management.
8. Forfeit Rule (Playoffs) – During playoffs a team forfeits if it has less than 4 players to start. A 5 minute grace period will be allowed.
9. Game Clock Rule - The game clock stops on all whistles for the last two minutes of each half and overtime periods.
10. Mercy/Sportsmanship Rule - If a team is winning by 20 points, the clock will become a running clock, and no back-court pressing is allowed by the winning team.
11. Overtime Rules - If after regulation time, the game is tied, a 2-minute overtime will be used to break the tie. If still tied after one overtime, a second 2-minute overtime is used. If still tied, sudden death is used to break the tie - jump ball at center court, and first basket wins. Each team also will have one 20-second timeout per overtime. If there is a risk of running out of gym time, the referees can modify these rules to speed the overtime and finish the game.
12. Roster Addition Rule – Players can be added to their official team rosters during the regular season, only with the Commissioner providing approval. To be eligible for the playoffs, roster-addition players must have played at least 2 regular season games.
13. Rotation Rule – Players sitting must rotate approximately every 5-6 minutes with the intention of all players having equal playing time for each game. Although the player sitting requests to enter the game, the coach should also make sure playing time is equally divided. Rotations are allowed any time the referee blows the whistle (fouls, time-outs, traveling calls, etc.). Players ready to rotate should go to the clock desk and make sure the person running the clock knows of the impending rotation. The referees will see a player ready to enter the game and allow this upon the next whistle. During two-shot fouls, the rotation should take place after the first foul shot.
14. Substitution Rule (Regular Season) - During the regular season there are no forfeits. Teams who have less than 5 players may borrow players from the opposing team or a same-division team to get to 5 players. If a 5-man team wishes to add one or more subs, or a player from a higher division, the opposing coach must agree. In general, a player from a higher division should only be added to get to 5 players and no more.
15. Substitution Rule (Playoffs) - For the playoffs, no substitutions are allowed if a 5 person roster. If less than 5, the opposing coach MUST approve any subs, and may decide not to allow any. In general, no players from a higher division - as well as dominating players from the same division - should be used as subs.
16. Timeouts Rule - Two time-outs per half are allowed, but cannot be carried over to the second half.
17. Uniform Rule - All players must play with the official Legends Basketball League uniform, unless the entire team brings their own uniforms (must be league-approved before the season starts). During PRE-FINALS games only, a technical foul will be assessed for every player not in full Legends uniform. For FINALS, players will not be allowed to play.
18. Unsportsmanlike Rule - No unsportsmanlike conduct will be tolerated. Rough play or intentional hard or flagrant fouls at any time is forbidden. If the conduct of a player is deemed unsportsmanlike, malicious, or too aggressive by the referee, the player will either receive a warning with a technical foul or be ejected from the game depending on severity (See Ejection Rule, above). The commissioner may also ban any player from the league if that player's on or off-court actions are deemed inappropriate, unsportsmanlike, or threatens the concept of camaraderie of the league.
19. Unsportsmanlike/Abusive Behavior - In addition to potential suspensions for abusive behavior, any excessive verbal abuse or any flagrant contact with officials will result in an immediate forfeiture of the game.
20. High School Rules - All other rules if not specifically stated above will follow standard high school basketball rules.