Girls Spring Volleyball
The March thru June SPRING season is dedicated to GIRLS volleyball. The program has grown from 200+ players in 2012 to an amazing 620+ players and 145+ volunteer coaches in 2017 making it the largest youth volleyball program in Fairfax County by a factor of two.
The next full season for girls is Spring 2018. Registration opens January 1, 2018.
The spring program has the following eight (8) leagues:
- 4th Grade House League
- 5th Grade House League
- 6th Grade House League
- 7th Grade House League
- 8th Grade House League
- 9th-12th Grade House League
- MS Select League (open to 6th-8th graders, requires a tryout)
- HS Travel League (open to 9th-12th graders, requires a tryout)
Which League Should I Register For? The House leagues are open to everyone regardless of skill and past volleyball experience, while the MS Select and HS Travel leagues are for more advanced players and require a tryout. Whether planning to play House, MS Select or HS Travel, everyone starts off by registering for the appropriate House league. Those who earn a spot through the tryout process are automatically moved to the MS Select or HS Travel league. All others remain in the House league.
When Are Practices? During the spring, MYA Volleyball has access to most school gyms in the McLean-area from Monday through Friday between 5:30pm and 9pm. Each team practices once per week for 90 minutes on a dedicated court. One team could practice on Mondays from 5:30pm-7:00pm while another team in the same league could end up practicing on Thursdays from 7:30pm-9:00pm at a different location. During registration, each participant indicates which days of the week have schedule conflicts and any other special requests (friends, coaches, etc.). Our schedulers then work to assign each player to a team that practices on a conflict-free evening while honoring special requests.
When Are Matches? House and Select league matches run for 60 minutes (3 games) and are always on Saturdays between 9am and 6pm at schools in the greater McLean area. The scheduling software randomly selects the start times, locations and opponents. HS Travel league matches are on Wednesday evenings at locations around Fairfax County. Teams only play against teams in the same league.
How Does It Work? To help illustrate some key points, let's take the example of three sisters. All three start off registering for the House league corresponding to their school grade, filling out the days of the week with known conflicts and any special requests.
- The first sister attends the MS Select tryouts in early March and is offered a spot. Her registration is automatically transfered from the House league to the MS Select league with no additional fees. She is placed on a team that practices on an evening she indicated as conflict-free.
- The second sister also tries out for MS Select but is not selected. She remains in the House league where she is placed on a team that practices on an evening she indicated as conflict-free. The team is also assigned a friend the second sister asked for in her special requests and another friend who made a request to play with her.
- The third sister does not attend a MS Select tryout and is placed on a House team that practices on a conflict-free evening. Based on her special requests, the team includes the coach and friends she requested plus several friends who requested her.
- All three play matches on Saturdays sometime between 9am and 6pm with start times, locations and opponents determined by the scheduling software. Go parents!
For more information, visit the following links:
Calendar - Spring 2018
- January 1: Registration Opens
- February 15: Registration Closes
- March 5 - 7: MS Select Round 1 Tryouts @TBD
- March 8: Coaches Coordination Meeting @TBD
- March 10: MS Select Round 2 Call-Back @TBD
- March 11 - 22: Skills Clinics
- March 19: MS Select Practices Begin
- March 19: House Team Rosters Published
- March 26 - 30: FCPS Spring Break GYMS CLOSED
- April 1: House Team Practices Begin
- April 7: Matches Begin
- May 5: Team Picture Day @TBD
- May 19: Last League Matches & Three-in-A-Row Froyo Challenge
- May 26-28: Memorial Day Weekend GYMS CLOSED
- June 2 & 3: Playoffs for House and Select Leagues
- June 5-7: Internal All-Star Matches (4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th/12th House Leagues)
- June 9: Regional All-Star Tournaments (6th, MS Select Leagues)
with your questions.