Frequently Asked Questions About SW Cheer
Where are the games held?
- Games are held at various parks within Albuquerque and Rio Rancho. Locations can vary.
What days are the games played on?
- Games are played on Saturdays.
Where are practices?
- Practices are at local parks. IYS does its best to organize practices within the zip code. Teams are assigned to their practice area by IYS.
How often are practices?
- Practices vary during the week but most practices for cheer are between 2 and 3 times per week. Practices generally begin 3-4 weeks before the season.
How are teams formed?
- Teams are formed by zip code and neighboring zip code. Teams can also be formed by coach requests and friend requests pending availability. Frequently, cheer teams are formed because of a sibling who is playing tackle on the adjoining team. Either way, IYS does its best to keep sibling pairs within the same team to minimize stress on the parent.
How long is the season?
- 8 games + Cheer competition
What additional equipment is needed for cheer?
- Teams are responsible for purchasing their pompons. If a coach or team so decides to purchase additional add-ons such as hair pieces, jackets, etc., it is completeley acceptable to IYS and is not the financial responsibility of IYS nor is it guaranteed by IYS in the registration fee.
Who are the coaches?
- Coaches are parent volunteers. IYS firmly believes in the positive aspects of children and parents being able to bond through the child/coach relationship.
How can I become a coach?
- Prospective coaches will need to complete a coaches application and background check.
Can coaches recruit players for a team and/or bring in a formed team?
- Yes, coaches can recruit players within their divisions and/or bring in fully formed teams.
Can I request a particular team or coach for my child?
- Yes, as long as the coach or team that you are requesting is in your child's age division.
Can a team stay together from season to season?
- Yes, they can stay together as long as they are in the appropriate age division and register together.
My child wants to cheer with a friend. Is that possible?
- Yes, you can make a friend request. Friend requests are only honored as long as the friend is in the same age-appropriate division as your child, as long as the coach is accepting players, and as long as there is room on the team.
Can a team "save" spots for a player that has not registered yet?
- No. Teams are not allowed to save spots for players who have yet to register. We highly suggest you register as soon as possible for the team that you are requesting.
What does my registration fee cover?
- Registration fees cover the cost of the practice fields per week, the cost of the weekly game facility rentals, player and facility insurance, custom uniforms, field equipment, facility staff, and various operating expenses.
What kind of uniform does my child receive? Is it extra or included in the cost?
- Cheerleaders receive a skirt, shell, and socks. It is included in the cost of the registration and is not extra. Cheerleaders are fitted for their uniform 3-4 weeks ahead of time.
Can I exchange my uniform?
- Exchanges are not allowed as uniforms are custom-ordered. If you decide you need another uniform due to personal reasons, there will be an additional charge.
How many seasons of cheer are there in a year?
- IYS runs 2 seasons of cheer per year: Fall and Spring .
What kind of cheers and chants are prohibited?
- Only cheers that are positive in nature are allowed. Cheerleaders must be mindful that cheers with profanity, derogatory comments, or negative insinuations are not allowed.
How do I switch teams?
- Team switching is not allowed during the season. You may, however, switch teams at the start of the next season.
Are refunds or credits allowed?
- Neither refunds nor credits are given.
Do you offer payment plans?
- Yes, we do. Please contact the office for specifics.
What is league age?
- League age is the age you are on August 1 of the current sports year. That age is "frozen" for the entire year and that is the age that you are for that particular sports year.
Why does IYS use league age?
- IYS uses league age in order to allow players to play with their same team for an entire year thereby reinforcing the concepts of team bonding and team cohesion.
My child is 8 on August 1, YYYY hen turns 9 three weeks later. How do you determine what his league age is?
- Because he was 8 on 8/1/YYYY, his league age is 8. Although he turned a year older a few weeks later, his age on 8/1/YYYY is the determining factor for placement for the current sports year.
If a child has a birthday after the cut-off date and turns a year older, does he have to move up a division?
- No. All that matters is the age he was on the cut-off date (8/1). Children do not move up divisions due to birthdays during the year or else we would be reorganizing teams each week. It is similar to the school year cut-off - if a child turns a year older, they do not automatically move up to the next grade the next day.
What is the difference between Infinity Youth Sports and Southwest Gridiron Cheer?
- None. Infinity Youth Sports is the parent company; Southwest Gridiron is the name of our tackle/cheer conference that we represent which is part of United Youth Football.
What does Southwest Gridiron Cheer hold for their cheerleaders at the end of the season?
- SWGC holds a Cheer Showcase in which different categories are recognized. I.E., best cheer, best dance, etc.
Are teams required to fundraise?
- Fundraising is optional per each individual team. However, parents must keep in mind that coaches are not responsible for financially providing for each cheerleader on the team once extras have been decided upon. It is important that all participants realize that it is a team effort both on and off the field where our childrens' desires are concerned.